Register Now
StaceyPowers

Best value DLCs you ever bought?

In terms of sheer bang for your buck, what do you consider to be the best investments you ever made in DLCs?

I think for me, The Last of Us: Left Behind and BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea are the best DLCs I got for the money.

I would say that both games are essentially incomplete without their DLCs. Even though they play through just fine without them, there is critical information in both without which the main games cannot be fully appreciated.

The DLC's for The Witcher 3, Skyrim and Horizon Zero Dawn: The Frozen Wilds are examples of great DLC's that add substantially to their base games at a very reasonable price.

But by far best value DLC I have ever seen isn't technically a DLC but a mod.  It's called "Legacy of the Dragonborn" for Skyrim.  It's basically a treasure hunting mod that adds:

• A Museum to Solitude that has a unique display point for every unique item in the base game, DLC and even some other mods.
  • Lore friendly new skins for most unique items and books.
  • Hundreds of brand new lore-friendly items to find, collect and display.
  • Multiple new fully voiced NPCs.
  • Multiple New dungeons and questlines.
  • A new Player home in the Museum.
  • A new guild with a questline new skill tree's.

Long story short it's about the size of and adds as many if not more hours to the game as the other 3 DLC's combined.  The cost, absolutely nothing!

The Elder Scrolls IV: The Shivering Isles was for the longest time my benchmark for DLC in reviews. That's pretty hard to top given the level of creative freedom the devs were allowed, and how well it compliments the base game which is primarily about the Daedric Princes. I can't recall what my latest benchmark was, especially for linear games, but I did enjoy some of We Happy Few's DLC, mostly because the base game wasn't all that good and the additional content contrasted with it.

Edited by Withywarlock

For me it's; 

GTA IV's story DLC, from The Ballad of Gay Tony, to The Lost and Damned. As well as The Undead Nightmare DLC for Red Dead Redemption. I can't think of any others that provided enough for the price. I always felt the GTA story DLCs where how DLCs should be. Fairly long, and adds more to the game. 

One DLC I was disappointed by, was the Harley Quinn DLC back in Arkham City. It was just a single mission that felt like it could have been a small section in the game. I rarely buy DLC due to this, as I feel the added stuff is never really worth it. 

I would say the best value DLC's I've ever bought would be expansion packs for games. For example, I just bought the Assassin's Creed The Rebel Collection. It has AC Black Flag and AC Rogue. For AC Rogue, Nintendo had an expansion for it that could only be gotten after you buy the pack. I think it was free, so this one may not count.

But I think expansion packs are the only DLC's I have ever actually paid for. And so far I haven't been disappointed.

On 3/7/2020 at 8:31 PM, Crazycrab said:

The DLC's for The Witcher 3, Skyrim and Horizon Zero Dawn: The Frozen Wilds are examples of great DLC's that add substantially to their base games at a very reasonable price.

But by far best value DLC I have ever seen isn't technically a DLC but a mod.  It's called "Legacy of the Dragonborn" for Skyrim.  It's basically a treasure hunting mod that adds:

• A Museum to Solitude that has a unique display point for every unique item in the base game, DLC and even some other mods.
  • Lore friendly new skins for most unique items and books.
  • Hundreds of brand new lore-friendly items to find, collect and display.
  • Multiple new fully voiced NPCs.
  • Multiple New dungeons and questlines.
  • A new Player home in the Museum.
  • A new guild with a questline new skill tree's.

Long story short it's about the size of and adds as many if not more hours to the game as the other 3 DLC's combined.  The cost, absolutely nothing!

Legacy of the Dragonborn is a certified hit. Trust me, his description doesn't even come close to what it truly entails and it's compatible with lots of other popular mods. In addition, I'd like to add the Alternate Life Mod from Skyrim which basically let's you start the game from a different location than the original opening so you can start as a college of Winterhold student etc. and this also costs nothing. 

XCOM2: War of the Chosen - This totally overhauls the base campaign of the game introducing new factions, new storylines, new activities. It's basically as if you got another game on top of the old one. That you can switch on or off.

Mass Effect 3: The Citadel - Quite a long storyline for a DLC, with a ton of fanservice included. Which was needed after the botched ending of the triology.

Wouldn't say the best value for your money, rather than best good DLCs for the game. Me, however, it's been ETS/ATS DLCs content and also The Hunter: Call Of The Wild. I have all DLCs for that hunting game and each one of them has been very good.

Good time to get to buy when they have sales or looking at third-party stores for cheaper keys. LIke paint jobs for ETS, you can get them as low as 80P.

Honestly, I also enjoyed Skyrim's Dragonborn DLC because we got face off again the first Dragonborn Miraak. I think the story was a bit lackluster in some parts but I did like the concept. The Dragon Aspect Shout was also a welcomed addition as you could finally release your inner dragon.