Register Now
Crazycrab

Games you hate that everbody else loves!

I noticed that @DylanC posted a topic "Games you love that no-one else likes" (LINK).  But as far as I can tell, there was no thread for the opposite.  Since every Ying needs a Yang I decided to start it myself.

So here it is, a thread to bash the games that everyone seems to love that you can't stand.  That particular game gets a bunch of praise from your fellow gamers and/or a ton of awards from critics and you can't figure out why.  The games or genres that your friends are all playing that you can't get into. Maybe even an upcoming release that has everyone hyped, but your not interested and your sick of hearing about it!

I'll start with a selection of mine:

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

220px-Shadow_of_Mordor_cover_art.jpg

As a fan of open-world action games like Assassins Creed and as well as Lord of the Rings, this is a game that should have been right up my ally and seemed to please everyone else but I was VERY disappointed.  What I expected from the trailers was a game where you where a lone Gonorian Ranger that would have to use stealth and strategy to combat the hordes of Orcs in Mordor. The game in truth is more like... actually no... EXACTLY like this!

You were so ridiculously overpowered and the stealth detection was so hilariously broken that the only aspect that is any legitimate threat to you is you own lapsing concentration!  You can sprint straight across open fields and through crowds still get stealth kills, be surrounded by and slaying dozens of enemies that will barley score any hits, they will lose track of you after breaking the line of sight for only a few of seconds and even if you do manage to die it doesn’t even matter since you are resurrected with the enemy Orcs raising level which you'll likely be welcoming.  Then there's the story and characters which are even worse, their so bland and that an hour after playing I couldn’t even remember anything that happened except for the truly atrocious ending.  How the fuck did this get an 8.0 user score on metacrtic?

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

220px-The_Legend_of_Zelda_Breath_of_the_

There is a lot of positive things to say about this game from it's visual and sound design, combat, brilliant AI, the fun puzzles and very well designed levels.  But, it is also one of the most frustrating gaming experiences I have ever had in my entire life. For everything that is great, there is something else needlessly tedious or hair-pullingly annoying.  Not to mention I blew about £300 on it, a Switch and accessories in order to play it!  The most consistent complaint I hear is the breakable weapons and that is irritating but for me, the biggest was the sheer size and design of the map. It makes the simple process of going from A to B a total pain in the ass. Mounts are useless since there is a deep chasm, sheer cliff or a group of enemies a 10-second gallop in every direction forcing you to abandon it and when you do they don't back to their stables!  I spent about 12 hours playing about 90% of which was on shrines and towers because the game didn't push me to do anything expect unlock more fast travel points and expand my stamina and health gauges. I'm sure with a lot of time there is an amazing game here but I didn't have the patience to find it.

Burnout Paradise

220px-Burnout_Paradise_Boxart_2.jpg

I was once a Burnout mega-fan and consider Burnout 3: Takedown one of the best racing games of all time if not THE best.  So I was deeply saddened that the fifth (and as of now, last) main installment of the Burnout franchise replaced classic arcade racing with one very stupid idea which inexplicably stuck...  MAKE IT OPEN WORLD! This was a move that I'm convinced to this day was done for no other reason than EA's sheer unfettered greed, forcing players to buy their own copy of the game in order to play together.  Split-screen and Crash party... GONE!  Instead, you drive across what's effectively an open-world menu completely wasting your time whenever you need to change your vehicle or start an event.  Most consider Paradise a classic and will never be able to understand why.

Well that's my contribution to pissing everyone off, how about you!

Edited by Crazycrab

8 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

I noticed that @DylanC posted a topic "Games you love that no-one else likes" (LINK).  But as far as I can tell, there was no thread for the opposite.  Since every Ying needs a Yang I decided to start it myself.

So here it is, a thread to bash the games that everyone seems to love that you can't stand.  That particular game gets a bunch of praise from your fellow gamers and/or a ton of awards from critics and you can't figure out why.  The games or genres that your friends are all playing that you can't get into. Maybe even an upcoming release that has everyone hyped, but your not interested and your sick of hearing about it!

I'll start with a selection of mine:

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

220px-Shadow_of_Mordor_cover_art.jpg

As a fan of open-world action games like Assassins Creed and as well as Lord of the Rings, this is a game that should have been right up my ally and seemed to please everyone else but I was VERY disappointed.  What I expected from the trailers was a game where you where a lone Gonorian Ranger that would have to use stealth and strategy to combat the hordes of Orcs in Mordor. The game in truth is more like... actually no... EXACTLY like this!

You were so ridiculously overpowered and the stealth detection was so hilariously broken that the only aspect that is any legitimate threat to you is you own lapsing concentration!  You can sprint straight across open fields and through crowds still get stealth kills, be surrounded by and slaying dozens of enemies that will barley score any hits, they will lose track of you after breaking the line of sight for only a few of seconds and even if you do manage to die it doesn’t even matter since you are resurrected with the enemy Orcs raising level which you'll likely be welcoming.  Then there's the story and characters which are even worse, their so bland and that an hour after playing I couldn’t even remember anything that happened except for the truly atrocious ending.  How the fuck did this get an 8.0 user score on metacrtic?

There is a lot of positive things to say about this game from it's visual and sound design, combat, brilliant AI, the fun puzzles and very well designed levels.  But, it is also one of the most frustrating gaming experiences I have ever had in my entire life. For everything that is great, there is something else needlessly tedious or hair-pullingly annoying.  Not to mention I blew about £300 on it, a Switch and accessories in order to play it!  The most consistent complaint I hear is the breakable weapons and that is irritating but for me, the biggest was the sheer size and design of the map. It makes the simple process of going from A to B a total pain in the ass. Mounts are useless since there is a deep chasm, sheer cliff or a group of enemies a 10-second gallop in every direction forcing you to abandon it and when you do they don't back to their stables!  I spent about 12 hours playing about 90% of which was on shrines and towers because the game didn't push me to do anything expect unlock more fast travel points and expand my stamina and health gauges. I'm sure with a lot of time there is an amazing game here but I didn't have the patience to find it.

Burnout Paradise

220px-Burnout_Paradise_Boxart_2.jpg

I was once a Burnout mega-fan and consider Burnout 3: Takedown one of the best racing games of all time if not THE best.  So I was deeply saddened that the fifth (and as of now, last) main installment of the Burnout franchise replaced classic arcade racing with one very stupid idea which inexplicably stuck...  MAKE IT OPEN WORLD! This was a move that I'm convinced to this day was done for no other reason than EA's sheer unfettered greed, forcing players to buy their own copy of the game in order to play together.  Split-screen and Crash party... GONE!  Instead, you drive across what's effectively an open-world menu completely wasting your time whenever you need to change your vehicle or start an event.  Most consider Paradise a classic and will never be able to understand why.

Well that's my contribution to pissing everyone off, how about you!

Thanks for starting this thread. It’s a great idea! Hmm. A game that everyone seems to love that I don’t like? Yes, it has to be 2019’s Control.

What a laborious game. Can’t believe how much praise it got from gaming press. It’s so damn boring to play, runs poorly, has an awfully written story that makes very little sense, has no meaningful atmosphere/tension, tedious exploration etc. 

I didn’t like it. And here’s my review: https://wegotthiscovered.com/gaming/control-review/

Edited by DylanC

16 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

I agree 100% with your call on Zelda. The developers went way too far overboard with this one. I thought Twilight Princess was bad, but this one is a shit storm.

As for my own entry on this list, the biggest choice I can think of off the top of my head, would be the GTA franchise. I just don't get it. I have tried playing it several times, and different entries. From what I gather Vice City is considered one of the best, if not the best. But it is just bullshit. It offers nothing for entertainment. There is no actual plot or mission in the games that I could see. Tasks are occasional, but other than that, you have nothing in the game to accomplish to move forward, because there IS NO FORWARD. There is nothing but an attractive title for kids rebelling against their parents. It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Another is FF14, but that's due to my hatred of online gaming.

Not a fan of Zelda or Assassins Creed or Dark Souls. I just don't find them attractive, like single player games are not that interesting for me anymore. I feel better playing multiplayer games rather than those.

Zelda for one, I am just like not into the main character being a dingy character who destroys pots (i know there is more to it, but I just cant get into it).
I guess I am just not into that whole genre of games, even tho I do enjoy Skyrim a lot and Oblivion, I can't seem to get into Zelda (to the disappointment of my girlfriend).

For a while I could have agreed with you about AC. I hated it for a long time. But recently I decided to give it one final shot and loved it. But it also falls into the type of games I’m a fan of. I like single player fantasy games. Zelda has always been one of my absolute favorites. If Zelda had never been created, I most likely wouldn’t be making this post because I probably wouldn’t be a gamer. Now that’s not to sat that I’ve loved every entry in the franchise. I hated Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess. And don’t even get me started on the abomination that was Wind Waker. I’m also a major Castlevania fan. One of my favorites was Simon’s Quest, even though it’s considered the worst Castlevania in the franchise.

2 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

For a while I could have agreed with you about AC. I hated it for a long time. But recently I decided to give it one final shot and loved it. But it also falls into the type of games I’m a fan of. I like single player fantasy games. Zelda has always been one of my absolute favorites. If Zelda had never been created, I most likely wouldn’t be making this post because I probably wouldn’t be a gamer. Now that’s not to sat that I’ve loved every entry in the franchise. I hated Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess. And don’t even get me started on the abomination that was Wind Waker. I’m also a major Castlevania fan. One of my favorites was Simon’s Quest, even though it’s considered the worst Castlevania in the franchise.

The worst... Really?

220px-Castlevania_(Nintendo_64).jpg  Castlevania_Legacy_of_Darkness.jpg

For me is Minecraft, I'm not saying its a bad game nor because of the graphics, I've played world creating games before but they are not exactly my cup of tea, and when it comes to the survival side of the game I would prefer something better like Dont Starve.

Fortnite, I never really liked it because of the aspect of build and fight whenever I see someone they'd cower and build there way out of a fight. Or when last time I played a pro builder literally trapped me in a box and killed me. I'm not much of a fan of battle royale in general but warzone I actually like.

13 hours ago, Jayson said:

Rayman and Paper Mario were quite popular - but the first levels were so boring.  Well, maybe I was doing something wrong.  Who else has tried them?

Possibly those games are fun - but I needed a cheat guide for the first level.   They seemed impossible and Rayman even seemed boring.