Register Now
Crazycrab

Games you hate that everbody else loves!

Definitely Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Everyone praised it for being one of the most atmospheric and scary horror games in a while. My experience was that I constantly had my immersion broken cause of the main character's actions, constantly had to keep looking for oil to keep my sanity in check and felt a lot of the game mechanics worked against my enjoyment of the game.

2 hours ago, Alyxx said:

Definitely Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Everyone praised it for being one of the most atmospheric and scary horror games in a while. My experience was that I constantly had my immersion broken cause of the main character's actions, constantly had to keep looking for oil to keep my sanity in check and felt a lot of the game mechanics worked against my enjoyment of the game.

That seems to happen often with a lot of games. I've experienced it too much, and games that I thought I would love, turned out to be something that caused me more anxiety and/or frustration than anything. It's part of the reason I have so many games that I have never played, and why I've had such a hard time with Skyrim.

1 hour ago, The Blackangel said:

That seems to happen often with a lot of games. I've experienced it too much, and games that I thought I would love, turned out to be something that caused me more anxiety and/or frustration than anything. It's part of the reason I have so many games that I have never played, and why I've had such a hard time with Skyrim.

That's extremely relatable.

I don't know why, but I can't seem to get into Red Dead Redemption or Grand Theft Auto. I had the ps2 and played GTA3 a few times and stopped. Got the ps3 and played GTA 4 a few times and stopped. I played Red Dead Redemption, got to the nearest 1st town and stopped. I played RDR Undead Nightmare more than the original. Got the ps4 and played GTA5. I got to where at the beginning they learn to tow a vehicle in a quest. Then I stopped. Played RDR 2 and got to where you make your first camp and hunt the bear. Then I stopped. Something just doesn't draw me in. Wouldn't say I hate it though. I think I hate the fact that they are so popular. Maybe my expectations are too high. 

Hosea doesn't really show you much when he takes you bear hunting. When you get out and explore on your own you see a lot more than you would expect. You can also catch yourself a wild horse if you prefer. I caught myself the white Arabian, which is listed as the best horse in the game, and believe me, she has proved that to be right.

You can walk up and kill anyone in the game, but you need to be ready to run, and or kill the witness. There's always a fucking witness to any crime you do. You can go hunting/fishing for legendary animals. If you see an animal in the game, there is one legendary of it somewhere.

There are all sorts of side quests you can do, termed "stranger missions".

You can loot any dead body, whether you are the one that killed them, or you just happen to come across them.

You can get all different kinds of guns, but some are only unlocked to buy after you reach a certain point in the game. You can even customize the guns to your liking.

You can craft al sorts of things like explosive bullets, and poison arrows.

The possibilities are endless in that game.
Just stay the hell away from the Blackwater area.

I couldn't get into RDR2 either, I think it's the fact that the process of skining animalls, looting bodies and so on is animated.  It's pretty cool to watch and technically impressive but its SO slow and tedious.  In most other open world games you can loot almost instantly and that's what I'm used to.

Games I don't like that everybody likes? All multiplayer only games of course. I feel every multi oriented game is taking away resources that could've been used to craft proper single player immersive experiences.

Specific games that I don't like:

NFS: Underground - I think this game marked the beginning of the downfall of the series from being a game about dream cars and dream drives, to becoming a cheap neon light infused fast and furious imitator

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - I think the main character is just unbearable, and the storytelling is uninteresting, the quests are tedious, the combat awful, that I'd rather avoid in the game than welcome. In a good game I welcome and enjoy every encounter, here I dreaded them. 

Read dead Redemption 2 - It's a beautifully crafted game with insane amount of attention to detail, that fails to evoke any interest in me to keep playing it. The only thing that stayed with me is long ass boring horse rides between POIs. I didn't care about any of the characters, or the situations I was forced in by the narrative   The choices the main character makes don't align with what I'd do. And there is little to no player choice.

Sniper Ghost Warror 3 - TLDR: The worst game I ever purchased.  You can read my review of it for details.

Assassin's Creed: Origins - Sure, I made the mistake of going into this game after Odyssey, but after Kassandra, Bayek is as interesting as a plank of wood.

Far Cry 5 - This game has no reason to exist, it's basically a first person version of ghost recon Wildlands, except it's smaller and worse in every aspect.  Coupled with the most dreadful narrative.

Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus - This game is just a distasteful glorification of violence, it's awful, tasteless, and repetitive. A precursor to new blood, which is even worse, thankfully I avoided that.

Ace Combat 7  An arcade flying game that doesn't support flight sticks, except for a few expensive hotas controllers. An unforgivable failure imo. I'm not going to buy a controller to play one game.

C&C Remastered Collection - OK this is not about the games, I loved the originals 25 years ago. This is about how they handled the remake and what an awful cashgrab it is. They didn't even fix bugs that were in the games originally and well known. And the cinematics remastering consisted of upscaling the awful overcompressed footage directly from the old games.

This remake in my estimation cost no more than $200.000 to make, and they charged $20 for it, and sold like hot cakes as people were eating it up. Which makes me even madder that they could get away with it.

Call of Duty. I don't even need to explain how popular COD is, but I personally never got into COD, or any first-person shooter games for that matter. I've had COD Modernwarfare 2, Black Ops 4 and World War 2 and haven't been able to get into it!