Register Now
StaceyPowers

What for you is the appeal of violent video games?

We're humans. Incisors, canines, eye's at the front. As much as some people would want to deny it, we're predators. Violence is part of what makes us, whether we want to believe it or not. Anger, aggression and danger are exhilarating because it's part of our base instincts. A desire to cause suffering is a different matter, that's a mind gone wrong or emotions out of control, but that doesn't change the fact violence is empowering and pleasurable because of what we are.

That's where video games come in. Every good video game, regardless of genre, has one thing in common, the empowerment factor. Whether it be defeating the great, soul devouring Dragon Alduin in Skyrim, becoming a war hero in COD, becoming a superhero in Spider-Man, ruling the underworld as a feared crime boss in GTA or lifting the Champions League trophy in FIFA, if a game doesn't make you feel like you're more than what you are, it's failed.

Taking lives and causing harm are amongst the most powerful things a person can do, but thankfully most people don't want to cause others to suffer. Yes, we're predators at our core, but we're also sentient and compassionate with morals and laws to guide us around our most base, violent instincts. Violent video games provide a safe, harmless outlet to embrace those instincts and enjoy that primeval rush. Speaking personally, I don't think violence on its own is an appealing thing, it's disturbing actually, but violent video games provide a safe, harmless outlet to indulge in those base instincts that we all have and there's not a damn thing wrong with that.

Edited by Shagger

1 hour ago, Shagger said:

We're humans. Incisors, canines, eye's at the front. As much as some people would want to deny it, we're predators. Violence is part of what makes us, whether we want to believe it or not. Anger, aggression and danger are exhilarating because it's part of our base instincts. A desire to cause suffering is a different matter, that's a mind gone wrong or emotions out of control, but that doesn't change the fact violence is empowering and pleasurable because of what we are.

That's where video games come in. Every good video game, regardless of genre, has one thing in common, the empowerment factor. Whether it be defeating the great, soul devouring Dragon Alduin in Skyrim, becoming a war hero in COD, becoming a superhero in Spider-Man, ruling the underworld as a feared crime boss in GTA or lifting the Champions League trophy in FIFA, if a game doesn't make you feel like you're more than what you are, it's failed.

Taking lives and causing harm are amongst the most powerful things a person can do, but thankfully most people don't want to cause others to suffer. Yes, we're predators at our core, but we're also sentient and compassionate with morals and laws to guide us around our most base, violent instincts. Violent video games provide a safe, harmless outlet to embrace those instincts and enjoy that primeval rush. Speaking personally, I don't think violence on its own is an appealing thing, it's disturbing actually, but violent video games provide a safe, harmless outlet to indulge in those base instincts that we all have and there's not a damn thing wrong with that.

I wouldn't say it's a mind gone wrong. I get great pleasure of inflicting harm on others. Blood and mental anguish are my favorite things. Seeing the despair in another's eyes, and knowing you could end that despair in one simple move, yet choosing not. It's beautiful.

To most it's not. But to many it's the only appealing thing. It's all we know. We get our enjoyment from it. Infliction of pain on the unsuspecting, and deserving of society is euphoria. As for the undeserving, that is just pure sport.

Remember one thing always people. Psychopaths are born. Sociopaths are made.

The single-most entertaining thing to me about violent video games are that the majority of them are competitive. COD Black Ops 4 and GTA V are two of my favorite video-games and are super competitive online. I really appreciate the fast-paced gaming and adventure of teaming up with other players. Even though non-violent video games are also competitive, I just find these to be more fun.

Violence for it's own sake is not appealing at all.  What's appealing to me in games is the narrative, and the overcoming of evil. Violence is just  a means to get there, not the end itself.

What I find curious is that people often confuse violence with gore.  And age ratings go the same way. Like it's the gore that is the problem and not the violence itself.

I think killing is killing, whether the game shows blood and gore or not. Actually I Think the downplaying and removal of gore is more dangerous, as it trivializes the consequences of violence.  A gory game might shock a kid, which is good, violence should be shocking. On the other hand games that removes gore and makes your kills evaporate are normalizing violence.

Killing should be depicted in games with the full gory consequences, or not at all.

12 hours ago, m76 said:

Violence for it's own sake is not appealing at all.  What's appealing to me in games is the narrative, and the overcoming of evil. Violence is just  a means to get there, not the end itself.

What I find curious is that people often confuse violence with gore.  And age ratings go the same way. Like it's the gore that is the problem and not the violence itself.

I think killing is killing, whether the game shows blood and gore or not. Actually I Think the downplaying and removal of gore is more dangerous, as it trivializes the consequences of violence.  A gory game might shock a kid, which is good, violence should be shocking. On the other hand games that removes gore and makes your kills evaporate are normalizing violence.

Killing should be depicted in games with the full gory consequences, or not at all.

I do agree that the less is shown, the more it is normalized. But if all games were very gory, that would also be normalized. Cutting a head off with blood spraying, would then need to start showing the eyes pop out, bone wiggling, and tongue fly on wall to go deeper into what we would call gory. For entertainment we need dumb shoot em ups so that horror games will stay unique in the horror genre. I wish they would normalize nudity, like all the banging in Witcher 3. Fine ladies in that game. Take a stamina potion and go to the brothel, then I'm ready for adventure again. 

1 hour ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

I do agree that the less is shown, the more it is normalized. But if all games were very gory, that would also be normalized. Cutting a head off with blood spraying, would then need to start showing the eyes pop out, bone wiggling, and tongue fly on wall to go deeper into what we would call gory. For entertainment we need dumb shoot em ups so that horror games will stay unique in the horror genre...

Wow, I have to say that's a very elegant, intelligent and mature take on matter. So much I'd never considered. I thought @m76make a fantastic point that I believed was unarguable, but you took you it on and I could almost feel myself becoming even more enlighte...

1 hour ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

... I wish they would normalize nudity, like all the banging in Witcher 3. Fine ladies in that game. Take a stamina potion and go to the brothel, then I'm ready for adventure again. 

Nope, you ruined it.

Edited by Shagger

9 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

I do agree that the less is shown, the more it is normalized. But if all games were very gory, that would also be normalized. Cutting a head off with blood spraying, would then need to start showing the eyes pop out, bone wiggling, and tongue fly on wall to go deeper into what we would call gory. For entertainment we need dumb shoot em ups so that horror games will stay unique in the horror genre.

We need more games where you can effectively solve problems without violence. I feel like adventure games are too one sided, they are basically just a big slaughter house these days. Did anyone count how many kills you get in the average action adventure game by the time you finish it? It must be in the thousands. I'd say killing has already become normalized.  There were so many games in the 90s, where killing wasn't an integral part of the game. Now every AAA game is a copy of a copy of a copy of the same tired formula.

Horror games aren't defined by the amount of gore, they are defined by the tone, the setting and the setpieces. And often by stupid predictable jump scares. Showing gore won't turn any game into a horror automatically.

9 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

I wish they would normalize nudity, like all the banging in Witcher 3. Fine ladies in that game. Take a stamina potion and go to the brothel, then I'm ready for adventure again. 

Why do you need nudity in a videogame? A nice outfit is much more appealing to me than plain nudity. It's crude and pointless. Most of the time showing less is much more intriguing that full frontal nudity.  Now I'm not a fan of the recent movement among some hypocritical developers to "de-sexualize" and uglify women in games, while they sexualize men. But I don't get the appeal of straight up nudity either.

On 3/10/2020 at 8:33 PM, The Blackangel said:

It helps keep my violence in check. Also I love watching anything in which a human is suffering and in pain. Their screaming is beautiful music to me. I love listening to them beg, promising them release, and then breaking that promise just to see the despair in their eyes.

Unfortunately that’s not something I can easily get away with IRL. I’m not the Zodiac, or Jack The Ripper. So the more unimaginable pain I can inflict on a character, both mentally and physically, the more I enjoy the game. The sad thing is that the best I have found so far is Hatred. It’s a lot more tame than what I want/need, but it’s better than nothing.

You should check out Corpse Party, if you're interested in survival horror/visual novel type games (and if you don't mind that there's no combat).  A lot of the suffering is more psychological than physical, and the actual gruesome things that happen are mostly not shown visibly but rather demonstrated through dialogue and narration.  Having said all that, there's some pretty nasty stuff that happens, and practically right from the start the game is relentlessly cruel and unforgiving to its characters.

Battlefield 4's campaign has one of the most disturbing moments in gaming for me. There's a bit where you find some soldiers trapped beneath a grate in a sinking destroyer, and you have to leave them to die as their screams of help echo the hall.