Register Now
StaceyPowers

Games with gender-neutral characters?

@Juneberry was mentioning a game called Littlewood with a gender-neutral hero in another thread I posted about LGBTQA+ representations.

Off the top of my head, I am not sure I have played any games which feature player characters that are anything other than male or female. The only game I can think of that I have played which features anything outside that binary for NPCs might be Mass Effect, where you have the mono-gendered (or genderless?) Asari.

Can anyone else recommend any other games which feature gender-neutral or genderless characters? I’m also interested in games that feature characters that are genderfluid or fall outside the gender binary in any other way.

I'm not sure if it's a portrayal of a "gender-neutral" character as such but It's still quite interesting.  In Resident Evil: Code Veronica X, two of the villans you meet are Alfred Ashford and his Twin sister Alexia, the grandchildren of the Umbrella co-founder Edward Ashford.  But it turns out later on in the game that Alexia was missing (presumed dead) and that in her absence Alfred because pretty much lost his mind and started imitating his sister, wearing dresses, changing his voice and it actually took me by surprise.  Until it was revealed I genuinely thought they were two different people.

One character who has been the subject of much debate around the issue is Birdo from Mario 2, who might be the earliest example of a trans character in a game.  It all comes form the original English manual, but references to this have been removed in later releases like Super Smash Brothers:

hqdefault.jpg

19 minutes ago, SaucyPastaTho said:

Genderless? The fact that's even a thing is terrible. Never heard of a game or played it that has this in it.

Well like it or not creatures that are "genderless" or "androgynous" is a thing that legitimitly exists in nature so take it up with Gaia.  I can think of a few example's in fantasy and science fiction as well.

I was getting ready to mention Mario 2. The one that I was gonna mention was Toad. I know most perceived Toad as male, but there was never any actual confirmation in any way. And if you look at the rest of the Mushroom Kingdom, they all look and dress identically. So Toad is one that I would call either genderless or androgynous.

It kinda reminds me of what Gimli said in Lord Of The Rings:

It’s true you don’t see many Dwarf women. In fact, they’re so alike in voice and appearance, that they’re often mistaken for Dwarf men.

Edited by The Blackangel