Register Now
StaceyPowers

Best games to play to soothe anxiety?

I am pretty sure right now I am not the only person who is dealing with a lot of extra anxiety. I use gaming on a nightly basis to help me deal with my OCD and sleep, and it usually works pretty well. But with coronavirus rampaging around, I have quite a bit of breakthrough anxiety. And I am betting that even those of you who don’t have anxiety disorders may be feeling more tense and uncertain than usual.

So, what games are the best to soothe anxiety and help us relax during this difficult time?

For me, I think the best games in this respect fall into several categories:

-Games that force me to be in the moment. For example, this would include first person shooters, or intense stealth games like TLOU. Because they demand so much intense concentration and focus, they help to disrupt anxious thoughts.

-Games that take me into a different world/story. Other games that help me to cope with my anxiety are those which pull me outside of my own head and place me firmly in someone else’s. Well-developed worlds paired with well-developed characters help here. The games that seem to do the best in this regard for me are those like Dragon Age and Mass Effect. There is a lot of rich lore to dive into, a solid story, and richly developed characters who feel very lifelike and real.

-Super relaxing chill games. Finally, games like Elder Scrolls and Fallout are awesome for coping with anxiety. First of all, the very task-based nature of them makes it easy to get into a flow, and hijacks my obsessive-compulsive circuits and puts them to better use than fretting about my problems. Secondly, the peaceful music and serene landscapes get me into a really chill state of mind. I find that Oblivion in particular is amazing in this respect with its lovely compositions and lush landscapes.

What about you? What games are you playing right now to keep anxiety at bay?

I’ve been sticking to some of the games I’ve mastered for the most part. Zelda games and different indie games on the NES. But one that I find relaxing isn’t a typical game. It’s a mobile game. Word Cookies. It gives you a bunch of letters and you have to find the words to fill the level. The words are prechosen, and you figure them out. There’s no time limit or anything like that. I recommend it anyway.

4 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

That sounds similar to the terminal hacking puzzles in Fallout (which I actually like).

I think tbe game he's referring to is letter master or letter quest. And for me Netflix or streaming movies / TV soothes my anxiety. Very rarely does a game do that. However when it does it's usually games with simple objectives and non tedious quests.

12 hours ago, SaucyPastaTho said:

I think tbe game he's referring to is letter master or letter quest. And for me Netflix or streaming movies / TV soothes my anxiety. Very rarely does a game do that. However when it does it's usually games with simple objectives and non tedious quests.

1) It's She. I'm female.

2) It's actually called Word Cookies. You can get it in the app store. It's a free download. I don't know if it's available for android or not, as I use an iPhone.

37 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

1) It's She. I'm female.

2) It's actually called Word Cookies. You can get it in the app store. It's a free download. I don't know if it's available for android or not, as I use an iPhone.

Oh I'm sorry I didn't know. And didn't know that either, all I knew is there was a word game out there something like that called letter quest or something.

A lot of users in this topic haven't talked much about Board Games. Chess helps me sooth my anxiety. Playing chess has been scientifically proven to stimulate our brains, improve our relationships with each other, and potentially relieve stress.

17 hours ago, Alexander. said:

A lot of users in this topic haven't talked much about Board Games. Chess helps me sooth my anxiety. Playing chess has been scientifically proven to stimulate our brains, improve our relationships with each other, and potentially relieve stress.

You need people for the real life board games and also for online versions mostly being bots. I find it harder to get stuck on the board games. 

7 hours ago, skyfire said:

You need people for the real life board games and also for online versions mostly being bots. I find it harder to get stuck on the board games. 

What's wrong with playing against artificial intelligence (robots)? You can choose your own difficulty whether that's easy or hardcore - we can still stimulate our minds by doing this. Have you got a favourite board-game to play? 

Edited by Alexander.

On 5/19/2020 at 11:09 AM, Alexander. said:

I’ve never gotten into board games much, but in a similar way I suppose, I enjoy card and dice games. How does chess improve our relationships with each other?

18 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

I’ve never gotten into board games much, but in a similar way I suppose, I enjoy card and dice games. How does chess improve our relationships with each other?

Kindness for the player - Chess is the most gentleman board game that I know of. You 're not even killing the king of the opponent, you 're just surrounding him. Despite the complexity of playing chess, most players will understand and empathise with the opponent. It's done by, Showing and earning respect which can potentially strengthen relationships and trust. 

I hope I've managed to answer your question, I've summarised my explanation for you.