Register Now
StaceyPowers

Elder Scrolls or Fallout: which do you like the most?

So, this could be seen as an apples to oranges question, but to me, Elder Scrolls and Fallout are similar franchises with games that play almost identically in many respects. For those who enjoy both, do you have a preference overall for one series or the other, and if so, which and why?

For me, it is a pretty tough call, as I really like both. But I think that Fallout appeals to me most by a narrow margin, despite the fact that Elder Scrolls is arguably a prettier world (I mean, it has trees, come on).

If I were to try and figure out why Fallout seems to have more of a pull on me, I can come up with a few factors:

-Sense of humor. Skyrim and Oblivion seem to lack a sense of humor in many respects (I can’t speak for Morrowind, haven’t played it). Not entirely, but the black humour that is all over Fallout is appealing to me.

-Better “dungeons.” One cave in Skyrim is much the same as another for the most part. But the Vaults in Fallout tell stories about their histories that you can follow as you explore, which really adds to the experience to me (despite them being built like mazes). I love how each feels like a mystery you are “solving” as you go.

-Better companions (in NV at least). The companions in NV all have stories and quests and feel more individual to me.

-Art design elements. This is totally subjective, but I love retro design, and Fallout is filled with it.

-More varied quests. I think that the overall variety of quests in Fallout is a bit more broad-ranging than those in the ES games I have played.

-Cool DLCs. Skyrim has awesome DLCs too, but I just like the way that Fallout’s function as experimental mini-games in some respects.

-Fallout NV is my overall favorite of these Bethesda-published games. That does tend to sway my overall outlook on Fallout in a positive way.

What about you? Do you prefer Fallout or Elder Scrolls, or do they rank the same for you?

It's a close one, but I prefer The Elder Scolls. Better stories and the magic, dragons, sword slinging fantasy theme just appeals to me more than Fallout's post apocalyptic theme. I agree with your points in favour of Fallout, especially the humour part, but when it comes down to it The Elder Scrolls is just more my thing.

I love both but I'm definitely more an Elder Scrolls Guy.  I'm still playing so much of Skyrim (albeit with mods) to this very day.  I might get into more detail when I have more time (right now I'm posting from my phone) but overall I just escape and get immersed in the word of The Elder Scrolls a bit more. 

Not to mention each Fallout game I've played has at least one aspect that pissed me of greatly.  With Fallout 3 it was the main quest that end's with obvious and massive plotholes nor has any proper closure unless you buy the DLC, I hated the crafting and busy work in Fallout 4 and New Vegas is the game that on both PC and Console has never worked properly for me.  On PS3 I had a ton of issues with VATS and on PC it crashes, every 10 minutes, guaranteed, even after installing a bunch of fixes.

Edited by Crazycrab

I have only played Skyrim and New Vegas so I dont have much to base my decision on. My favorite game by far is Skyrim, New Vegas had too much RPG and little action and Skyrim feels more balanced in my opinion

Edited by kingpotato

22 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

On PS3 I had a ton of issues with VATS and on PC it crashes, every 10 minutes, guaranteed, even after installing a bunch of fixes.

I have this problem too. And the world starts breaking as your save file gets larger. No clue how to fix it.

On 3/27/2020 at 10:03 PM, StaceyPowers said:

I have this problem too. And the world starts breaking as your save file gets larger. No clue how to fix it.

This was due to known issue with the creation engine and the PS3 memory, it affected Skyrim as well with one attempt at a fix resulting in the infamous "Dragon's flying backwards" bug!