Register Now
Joshua Farrell

Recommended build for Desktop gaming

Do you have any recommendations for gaming PC's? I am considering getting a seperate build for gaming on my computer, as the desktop computer I have at, works on laptop parts and doesn't have the standard expansion slots that normally come inside the tower (it is one of those Slim Towers. Can only upgrade it so much, without replacing the power supply.).

It would really depend on your budget. You can get a pretty decent PC that will run most games for $500-600, but if you want to play at 4K and/or be able to run every game imaginable on the highest settings, you would be paying more.

There are many things to consider with a new PC build. As @MeowsePad said, budget is the big one, but that's not all. There are many of us who could compile a list of recommended parts together with the right info;

Do you have a monitor or  monitors already? Or do you plan to use it on a TV? What are specks of the display you plan to use? (This is important to consider for both budgeting and because there's little point is creating a monster build if the displays you use can't even show it at its best. A PC performance and Display specks have to marry up close together)

Do you have a place have to put the computer? If this location near your internet router (If your desired location is close to a router, you won't need a motherboard with Wi-Fi connectivity and that could save money. It's also worth thinking about because you may need to work a desk and chair into your budget as well.)

Aesthetics. It would be useful you know what colour schemes you want. Would you prefer a case design that's more subtle or makes more of a statement? Do you consider cooling of limiting noise  more of a priority?

It's also important to consider what you need outside the tower and software. Mouse and Keyboard (As essential as any component inside the computer. If you don't have any to spare, you'll have to work these into the budget), controllers, speakers, headsets, controllers, operating system (Again, essential), any premium software you want, speakers case accessories and so on. Most of these things aren't essential of course, but it's still a good idea to think abut them for budget reasons.

After getting as much of this info as possible, it should be straight forward to compile a recommended parts list.

13 hours ago, Joshua Farrell said:

Do you have any recommendations for gaming PC's? I am considering getting a seperate build for gaming on my computer, as the desktop computer I have at, works on laptop parts and doesn't have the standard expansion slots that normally come inside the tower (it is one of those Slim Towers. Can only upgrade it so much, without replacing the power supply.).

I personally would advise against buying/building a gaming PC right now because next gen consoles are right round the corner.  You don't want to spend $1000 on a PC and then 6 months later a $500 console arrives on the market that out-performs it.  You will get better parts or at least the same parts cheaper if wait a little longer.

Edited by Crazycrab

My main thing, is that I want to be able to run graphics smoothly and have the ram and space needed for speed and being able to have digital copies of games.While I got a couple of items upgraded for my current computer, I just would rather buy a brand new one, instead of finding compatible upgrades to replace as I need. Plus I am willing to buy network attached storage, so that I can access the games from any device or location within the house. Extra stuff like controllers isn't an issue, as those things can be bought if I decide to purchase a game that needs something that needs something other than a mouse and keyboard.

1 hour ago, Joshua Farrell said:

My main thing, is that I want to be able to run graphics smoothly and have the ram and space needed for speed and being able to have digital copies of games.While I got a couple of items upgraded for my current computer, I just would rather buy a brand new one, instead of finding compatible upgrades to replace as I need. Plus I am willing to buy network attached storage, so that I can access the games from any device or location within the house. Extra stuff like controllers isn't an issue, as those things can be bought if I decide to purchase a game that needs something that needs something other than a mouse and keyboard.

I still think you should wait, but If you insist a can prepare a build for you on PCPartPicker.  I just need a few bits of information:

• Location:  To get accurate pricing and availability your local currency I need to know roughly where you are.  Send me a PM if you don't want this public.
  • Budget: How much are you willing to spend?  Including essential peripherals like mouse, keyboard and monitor(s) in the budget if you need them.  If budget isn't a concern then let me know about...
  • ...Performance:  You say you "want to be able to run graphics smoothly and have the ram and space needed for speed and being able to have digital copies of games" but this isn't very specific.  If you can give a bit more detail about the resolution and refresh rate of the the monitor(s) that would be helpful.  If you can't I'll match your budget as best I can.
  • NAS Storage:  You say you are willing to buy and run your games from Network Access Storage, but I don't recommend this for gaming since as it can slow up load times and some clients might not be compatible.  If you do decide to go for it how much storage do you need?  You may also want to consider the state of your home network as I defiantly don't recommend doing this through WiFi, at least not for you main gaining rig.  You will also to consider this in your budget and there are alternatives like Steam Link if it is ultimately impractical.
  • Is it JUST for gaming?  Judging by what you have said so far I'd assume yes but if there is anything else you would use it for (work, video editing, streaming ect) let me know.
  • Space:  I'll assume again based on your earlier posted that you do have a space for it but is it limited in any way?  Like the size of your desk and anything else already on it.
  • Astetics:  Do looks matter and if they do describe how.

Well I think that covers it.  You can replay or let me know through a PM.

8 GB RAM, AMD Ryzen 5 2600x Processor, B450M Gaming Motherboard and a GT 1030 (which I recently upgraded to a GTX 1660). That's my PC build and only cost me £400ish. I can run Fortnite and most games on medium quality (high-ultra with my new GTX 1660).