Register Now
Shagger

After 10 years, NieR is getting finished

Today, Square Enix announced NieR Replicant, a "Remaster" (it's not) of the original NieR from 2010 and predecessor to the hugely successful (NieR wasn't) NeiR Automata. There will be legions of posers who will claim they played the original when they didn't for sure, but you can always trust me. Here's the original box art because you've never seen it before.

tumblr_nomw3okhOE1upaaqfo1_1280.jpg

People are calling it a "remaster", but it's not. A decade after this RPG and half finished predecessor to NieR Automata that 5 people at most actually played and almost nobody even heard of until Automata came out, the game is finally being finished. I'm not a promoter, so I give you the truth, so don't let anyone trick into believing that tis is a "remaster". Me and @Crazycrab are in fact 2 of those 5, and he borrowed the game from me after my girlfriend bought it for me it at complete random without really knowing what it was, so it was pure chance we played it at all. That's how obscure this game was.

Like I said, the term "unfinished" barely scratches the surface here, but It wasn't buggy or broken. They finished parts, but barely started on the rest. Most of the cutscenes and dialogue weren't voice acted even though they were clearly supposed to be, but much of the rest of the cutscenes and dialogue weren't in the game at all. They run out of time, so replaced them with walls of badly formatted text against a blank background instead. Reading this made it clear this was supposed to be gameplay instead and even described combat scenarios and boss fights. There was a few graphical issues to, poetically with antialiasing and close up rendering. Things got really pixilated when the camera got close, it was like PS1 textures.

OK, so half of this dinner was still living of the farm, but the other half was actually rather tasty, and that's why this game annoyed me so much at the time, you could see the potential. The gameplay was varied and had a fantastic retro feel with a modern presentation. Combat was fantastic, especially the boss fights and the game looked really cool despite the obvious production problems and aforementioned issues with the graphics. It also told a fantastic, unique story with superb, colourful characters and really good voice acting when it was there. Kainé in particular is very memorable. A foul-mouthed, ruthless, but still very funny badass wearing lingerie the entire time (Even 10 years ago it was a different time for gaming, progression is all good).

All joking aside and despite my genuine frustration I am  excited to see this game perhaps finally reach it's full potential and would urge you all to check it out. I don't want to one of only 5 anymore. And they actually do plan to "make additions and improvements", so I'm not exaggerating when I say Square Enix are finishing it... at last. Here is the trailer and an article below for you all to check out to learn more, but remember, it's NOT a remaster, no matter what anyone tells you.

https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/gaming/1261821/Square-Enix-news-Nier-Replicant-Remaster-PS4-Xbox-One

Edited by Shagger

A long time ago I heard or Nier Automata, but never paid it any real attention, because it wasn't really my kind of game. Or so I thought. But after watching the trailer you posted, my interest is peaked. I'll admit I knw nothing about the game, but the images do have me interested.

1 hour ago, The Blackangel said:

A long time ago I heard or Nier Automata, but never paid it any real attention, because it wasn't really my kind of game. Or so I thought. But after watching the trailer you posted, my interest is peaked. I'll admit I knw nothing about the game, but the images do have me interested.

22 minutes ago, SaucyPastaTho said:

Why did it take so long for them to fully remaster? it's all just a matter of porting the graphics to PS4/XB1 and or next generation consoles.

NieR Automata came out a couple of years ago to huge acclaim from both gamers and critics alike, and very much deservedly so. It's a superb game. It was a sequel to the original NeiR but, at least in terms of story, held pretty much no connection to the first game at all. This was a good thing because the original NieR was the slowest selling consumer good since the DVD launch of Pearl Harbour. There was no point in continuing a story with characters that the gaming community had barely heard of. The game I've posted about is a "remake" of that original game from 2010. 

As I said in the OP, I did play the original back in the day on the PS3 and it was a good game... well, at least the portions of that had actually been developed. Whether working on this game brought about the collapse of the developer, Cavia, or the collapse of Cavia brought an end to development of the game, who knows. Either way, Square Enix patched up the holes in the parts of the game that hadn't been made with sticky tape and quietly released it with little to no promotion, probably because they were too embarrassed to release this raw Chicken Kiev as a game. I don't know about other remasters, but this one I would not be shocked to find the "remaster" took a long time because before you can remaster a game, you have to at least finish it first.

The fact NieR Automata was made I found really strange at the time because, why bring this back? It was like someone funding a Hollywood movie for a Chechnyen superhero that nobody has heard of. NeiR was loaded with potential and I'm glad they brought it back with NieR Automata and even more glad that Square Enix are finally going to give the original game the treatment it deserved. Despite the problem this game had, I enjoyed it a lot. I will so be picking this up in the hope they actually make the game should have had a decade ago.

Edited by Shagger

12 minutes ago, SaucyPastaTho said:

Why did it take so long for them to fully remaster? it's all just a matter of porting the graphics to PS4/XB1 and or next generation consoles.

I actually can't believe their bothering at all.  It was realeasd in incomplete state, reviews were mixed, and it was a commercial flop having only sold around 630,000 copies worldwide.  The only reason I can think of is that their trying to cash in on the success of the far better NieR: Automata.