Register Now
Knight Plug

Resident Evil disappoints me now. Do you feel the same?

I've been a fan of the RE franchise since I was 13. RE2 (the original) was the game that brought me to the dance. I became obsessed with survival horror after experiencing that game, to the point where I went and played Silent Hill and other famous franchises, all revolving around a high level of the creepiness factor. The thing is, all was going well, until RE4 arrived. I prefer to just count CVX as the real RE4, and kind of ignore RE4 and garbage like the two 'Chronicles' games and whatnot, as even being a part of the series these days. In fact, I'm also tired of Capcom going back to 1998 over and over again in general. It's seriously just lame that they cannot move forward, without trying to move backwards concurrently. 

RE4 is not a bad game, per se. But it ain't really a proper RE game in my eyes. Shinji Mikami leaving Capcom and Team Silent leaving Konami I feel is what killed the two biggest horror series. Now RE has been a cash cow for over a decade, with incredibly lame spin offs and now two hollow remakes, that to me feel more like a parody of their respective originals. If fans liked them, it's okay to do so. I'd never blatantly flame anybody for speaking up about how they feel. But RE4 feels kind of dumb in many ways, like with having the enemies drop stuff, and that merchant who is moving around places like he's got magical abilities or something, and the endless amount of enemy gauntlets you blast your way through, and that cheesy (in a bad way) voice acting, and the most 'not RE enemies' enemies you face up to. 

Revelations 2 feels like a cut and paste of The Last of Us. I seriously doubt RE will be restored to its past glory due to how crappy the games are becoming, with Capcom focusing on stealing ideas from movies or keeping up with the latest trends. And it's sad. I saw RE3 footage online, and every time Jill speaks, I swear, you don't care about her like you did with the 1999 version. At all! The other characters also feel one-dimensional. You cared about the original characters, as they had soul. Here, I don't know. It feels like a bland third person shooter that just wants to be RE, but it feels so empty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cloiiAhVZc

So the new rumours going around, is that RE8 started life as a side story game, specifically Revelations 3, and that Chris and Ethan are to reunite to fight a witch type enemy, on an island. 

On 4/13/2020 at 11:09 PM, skyfire said:

So what is the status now on RE 8 officially as per the forums around?

RE8 seems to be official by 2021 and Re4 remake for 2022. Supposedly RE8 should be similar to RE7 in terms of location, big house or country side area.

I don't see the point in a RE4 remake. What's the point other than to make yet another large heap of cash? 

RE4 is already available on practically everything. It's only 15 years old, and so many fans like it just as it is. I also consider RE4 to be the death of real survival horror gaming, due to its blatant move towards linear action sequences. Not only that, where is the CVX remake? That would make way more sense. CVX is the real sequel to RE2. That should get remade before RE4. But it's way too soon to remake RE4, and they will probably omit a lot of areas, enemies, and so much more.

It seems obvious to me that Capcom are just money hungry, and they don't generally work on these lazy remakes anyway. They outsourced RE3, which has received tons of unfavorable reviews. And I don't know about RE2 getting outsourced, but they are now one of the worst companies in gaming when it comes to milking their top franchises.

Also, I just want to point out that I think the whole point of RE8 coming before RE4, is so they can reuse assets of that game without having to design the levels one by one.

Edited by thesaunderschild

22 minutes ago, thesaunderschild said:

I don't see the point in a RE4 remake. What's the point other than to make yet another large heap of cash? 

RE4 is already available on practically everything. It's only 15 years old, and so many fans like it just as it is. I also consider RE4 to be the death of real survival horror gaming, due to its blatant move towards linear action sequences. Not only that, where is the CVX remake? That would make way more sense. CVX is the real sequel to RE2. That should get remade before RE4. But it's way too soon to remake RE4, and they will probably omit a lot of areas, enemies, and so much more.

It seems obvious to me that Capcom are just money hungry, and they don't generally work on these lazy remakes anyway. They outsourced RE3, which has received tons of unfavorable reviews. And I don't know about RE2 getting outsourced, but they are now one of the worst companies in gaming when it comes to milking their top franchises.

Also, I just want to point out that I think the whole point of RE8 coming before RE4, is so they can reuse assets of that game without having to design the levels one by one.

Oh yeah they have been milking Re4 forever but I dont mind a remake as long as it stays true to the source or at least the atmosphere, true Re4 was not that scary but its a great game nonetheless and I would like to see a remake. I have never played Code Veronica so I dont have an opinion about a remake.

It probably won't stay faithful at all. 

Capcom fumbled the ball with RE3, since they just did this...

-Cut enemies, such as the spiders, crows, and the Grave Digger (as in, that giant worm thing).

-Radically removed the number of areas.

-Nemesis appearing was not random attacks, but more so triggered to be that way.

-Barry didn't save Jill and Carlos at the end, which is absolutely supposed to be canonical. 

-Locations such as the dead factory and the clock tower were omitted. You only see the clock tower as you fight Nemesis in a courtyard.

-The game isn't scary at all, and there's no real replay value to it. If anything, it feels like another action game, akin to RE5 and RE6.

The list goes on. I'd personally rather they take the series forward, but they love to go back to what is familiar, as they are money grabbers.

17 hours ago, kingpotato said:

RE8 seems to be official by 2021 and Re4 remake for 2022. Supposedly RE8 should be similar to RE7 in terms of location, big house or country side area.

The plan for the release are official news now?