Register Now
TechnicGeek

Where do you buy games?

Haven't been in video gaming for years.

Returned recently and everything has changed.

Games are no longer sold on CDs/DVDs and now there are multiple marketplaces.

But I also noticed there are 3rd party marketplaces and wonder which are reliable.

They seem to have so called Global keys which seem to be cheaper.

If you buy from 3rd party marketplaces, which marketplaces are those?

Thanks.

Currently, I get most of my games on Humble Bundle and Steam... But I also only have computer gaming available to me right now, along with mobile. As a note, I've seen Humble Bundle sell games for Switch as well as Steam.

Edited by Juneberry

39 minutes ago, TechnicGeek said:

Anyone heard about G2A Store and Eneba?

Welcome to the forums.

Firstly, and most importantly, I would avoid key resellers, especially G2A.

The idea is that people put up unused game keys for sale to unlock games on digital sales platforms such as Steam. It's easy to end up with extra games keys that you don't want. For example, unwanted gifts or if you bought a bundle but there are games in that bundle you already own, you could sell those keys on these sites to someone else that wants them. It's kind of like an eBay for game keys and digital software. The key reselling sites of course take a cut of that sale and/or host ads on the site that's how they make money.

The first problem is you can only take these resellers at their word that the keys are genuine and haven't been used, so it's always a risk. Second issue, and this is especially true with G2A, these sites have been known to sell games bought from the original retailer with stolen credit card info, turning their store fronts into a front for fraud. G2A has found itself in hot water over this a lot of the last 2-3 years.

Yes, keys on these sites can be very cheep, much cheaper than buying direct from Steam, Epic Game Store, GOG, PSN, XBox Live or whoever it happens to be, but I personally wouldn't be tempted by them.

Edited by Shagger

I'm a classic gamer, and as such, virtually everything I play is a cartridge. So I tend to buy more from eBay than anything. I also shop on the Nintendo eShop quite a bit from my Switch. I think the most I've spent on a single game there was $2.99 or so. Some of the games I've gotten are masterpieces. Some were ok. Others weren't anything special. My favorite so far is Goblin Sword. I have been playing the hell out of it. If you're a fan of old Sega Genesis style graphics then you would love this one. Also there was a game I bought the other day that literally was selling for only one penny. 1 cent. It looked good, and at a single penny whether I liked it or not I wasn't losing a damn thing.

6 hours ago, TechnicGeek said:

Anyone heard about G2A Store and Eneba?

6 hours ago, Shagger said:

Second issue, and this is especially true with G2A, these sites have been known to sell games bought from the original retailer with stolen credit card info,

That's the main problem with sites like those, especially for independent developer's.  If the keys that are sold by resellers are bought fraudulently which seems to be fairly common then the credit is refunded to owner of the card.  If that happens then:

1:  The publisher and/or developer has to refund the original to the credit company, so not only do they not get a cut of the resale but the loose the money from the initial sale and have to pay additional fees.

2:  The customer who bought the key from the reseller can then loose access to the game without warning and no chance of a refund.

Inde developer's especially are so against key resellers that some have even gone on record stating that they would prefer you pirate their games then purchase them from G2A!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pcgamer.com/uk/amp/developers-tell-people-to-pirate-their-games-instead-of-using-g2a/

These sites are better avoided.

Edited by Crazycrab

13 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

Inde developer's especially are so against key resellers that some have even gone on record stating that they would prefer you pirate their games then purchase them from G2A!

I never would have expected a statement like that from a developer, but at least they're honest. That garners a lot of respect from me. Simply due to the honesty, I'm going to look into more indie games than usual. My tastes typically run on a fairly narrow stream, but have been getting out there more here lately.

How about a recommendation? Games and developers both to check out.

Yeah, I try not to buy from key resellers, as I've heard horror stories of people selling stolen codes, so when they redeem them, it ends up closing their account. There's just a lot of risk with it. If you must buy from a key reseller like g2a or anywhere else, make sure you're buying from a reputable seller, as anyone new is a big risk. Even then, you could end up with a stolen key. 

Best bet, is to buy right from the marketplace the game is available on, or through the publisher even. I know that means paying full price, but I'd take that over possibly losing my account. 

Nowadays it's all digital downloads, SInce I'm a PC gamer then anything based on PC marketplace I get.

-Steam, over 200 games
-Epic, get free games each month
-HumbleBundle - Great palce to get games that are far cheaper and deals
-HRK - ANother thired-paty site for getting cheaper games 😉 

G2A and Eneba are platforms I'd recommend staying far away from as they tend to sell keys that are bought with stolen credit cards/debit cards. CDkeys is a good one as they buy the keys from the retailers and resell it at a lower price - it's the only one I can swear by. Otherwise, you can go with GOG, Steam, Epic, Ubisoft, Origin and others.