Register Now
The Blackangel

First time you heard a video game character cuss

It’s par for the course these days, but not too terribly long ago, it was unheard of for there to be any kind of vulgarities in a video game. People were freaking out over blood in Mortal Kombat. The first time I ever heard, or maybe more appropriately READ, a video game cuss was in FF8. Mostly it was Zell. He had a bit more of a mouth than anyone else, but there were also messages from the game. Like when you fight Wedge and Biggs at the prison, it often pops up a message that says ”Wedge is pissed.” I’m not joking. That’s literally what it says.

So what was the first time you heard a game cuss?

It must have been GTA Liberty City or GTA Vice City for me, back when I played them on my PSP. I was definitely younger than 10, can't remember my exact age or the exact scene, but all GTA games have plenty of cussing.

I don't reall remember when, but it's not that extremely funny to hear characters saying bad words for someone who's not a native English speaker like it is for native speakers. But i believe it was in GTA SA, it got funnier when i started understanding English

I starting gaming when I was in college back in 2013-ish, and I started with M-rated games, so obviously cussing in video games was always normal in my world.

Here's something along a similar vein, though: I remember being quite surprised by the amount of nudity in Dragon Age: Inquisition. Especially when compared to the previous games in the series, in which everyone's underclothes stayed firmly on during the romance scenes (despite those games also being rated M).

It was never a big deal to me, because worse came out of my mouth constantly. I've had truckers and sailors both tell me to watch my mouth. But it still was a little surprising.

What the fuck do you think of that you motherfucking fuckers???
^if that gets edited out I won't be too surprised^