Register Now
StaceyPowers

Has a new game in a series ever made a previous entry obsolete for you?

@The Blackangel asked in another thread if those of us who play Skyrim will stop once ES VI comes out.

This made me curious how common this behaviour is. Has anyone here abandoned all previous entries in a series upon getting the newest game in that series? Like never played Fallout 3 or NV anymore after getting Fallout 4, or never playing Oblivion or Morrowind again upon getting Skyrim?

I wouldn’t expect this to apply to linear games, but I figure with open world games, maybe some people do have this play style.

For me, new entries in series don’t make old entries obsolete unless those entries were already very weak to begin with. They just add on to the existing world and give me more content to explore.

A large number of the games I play were unique titles that never got any kind of sequels. So I can't comment on those games. But the ones that do have sequels never bumped out the previous entries in the list. I still play Zelda 2, FF1 (NES) and FF2/3/4 (SNES), and even though I've seen a lot of people say they're all the same thing, I still play all of the God Of War games. My favorite is Chains Of Olympus. Just because it's old, or there's a new entry in the series, isn't a valid reason to quit playing a game that you enjoy.

I think for me, Rune Factory 2 really cut my interest in the original Rune Factory because it moved at a faster pace and made me realize how slow and tiresome I found the original, which I didn't notice until after I'd played the sequel. None of the other sequels have made 2 obsolete to me, and I'd like to try a full play through of the original again someday, but that day is a long day's away because I just couldn't handle how slow it was back then, and I'm not sure I can now either. That's just because I have a very small attention span, though.

For me it was GTA 5 over all previus GTA games, I do love most of the main GTA games from GTA 3, Vice city , San andreas and GTA 4 and most still hold up today, but GTA 5 is much better in many aspects (except for the music)and its now hard to go back to any of the previus entries if not for nostalgic reasons.