Register Now
Slimybug

The Story of Street Fighter

Hello, all! I’m trying to figure out the story of the Street Fighter games and where those story details came from.

I’m a big Mortal Kombat fan, and just now decided to get into Street Fighter. The story of Mortal Kombat, aside from brief synopses at the beginning of the games, comes from the individual character’s bios and endings. The beginning of the next game would consistently show that Liu Kang’s ending was the canonical one. However, even though the other character’s endings weren’t “real,” the details revealed about them in those endings were.

I decided to take this same approach to Street Fighter. But I soon became confused.

Street Fighter II is still the most famous game, with the most famous characters. That story appears to simply be about a tournament, but with some of the characters like Chun-Li and Guile being undercover officials with different agencies investigating the proprietor of the tournament, M. Bison, who runs the Shadaloo/Shadowlaw crime ring.

The next game, Street Fighter Alpha, is a prequel, with basically the exact same plot. Chun-Li appears to have entered a tournament to investigate Bison twice in a row.

Street Fighter III is about a whole new tournament, with mostly new characters, with no information on what the “real” ending of Street Fighter II was. Whatsmore, the next two games in the series, IV & V, take place between II & III, so III appears to be as far ahead as the story gets.

The synopsis for Street Fighter IV is what really confuses me, and I find myself thinking that there are story details about the end of SFII that, that it’s being presumed that I should know, which I've somehow missed.

" Street Fighter IV takes place several months after the events of Street Fighter II After [M. Bison]'s survival following his encounter with [Akuma] the S.I.N. corporation began another fighting tournament in order to draw out the most powerful fighters on Earth to complete the BLECE project. Each character has their own reasons for entering this tournament, but S.I.N.'s real desire is to lure Ryu to them in order to analyze the Satsui no Hadō, believed to be the last piece of data needed to complete BLECE."

Woah, so let’s back up. I take it Akuma is the one who canonically defeated Bison at the end of SFII? All of a suddenly they’re talking about S.I.N., which I’v never heard of before.

So, is there some other resource that I was supposed to have gotten ahold of to know the story?