Register Now
StaceyPowers

What do you do with copies of games you suspect you will never play?

Do you own any games that for whatever reason, you don’t expect you will ever play? If so, what do you do with them? Do you hang onto them indefinitely? Do you give them to friends? Do you trade them in? At what point do you decide to do so?

I am guilty of hanging onto a number of games for some time now that I don’t know if I will ever play, as I got them for free from the previous owner of my console. I know I should trade them in at the local store, but there is always this voice inside going, “But you might play Dark Souls eventually!”

Does anyone else have a hard time with this? At what point do you finally persuade yourself that you should let go of a game?

It all depends on how I ended up with the game in the first place and what system it’s for. For example I buy bundles a lot. Sometimes it’s for one thing and comes with a lot of extra stuff that I don’t care about. That I let go of. But games that I intentionally buy specifically with intentions of playing, I don’t let go, whether I ever play them or not. For example I have ES: Oblivion. I’ve never once even gotten it in the vicinity of my PS3. There are more games than just that one in my collection that are in the same boat. From Atari to PS4/Xbox One, I have probably 300 games total. There’s more than 100 at least that combine games that I’ve either never played yet, or not played in a very long time. But I’m not getting rid of them.

Who knows, maybe I’m just a hoarder and don’t realize it yet.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm more of a collector than an actual player, when I consider all the games I have that I have never played, or perhaps only played once, regardless of whether I liked it or not. The games I have, I honestly bought with the full intention of playing them. That part is true. I even have games that I've bought 3 and 4 copies of because I kept forgetting that I had the game. That's why every month now I print up a full game list that I keep in my purse so I don't keep buying a game over and over needlessly. But if I'm becoming more of a collector than a player, well then, so be it I guess. I think a big part of that is the status of the gaming world. Everything is getting fancier, and more high tech, and that's just not my thing. Sure the graphics are beautiful to look at, but they just don't appeal to me. And what does is all but forgotten. If you ask a kid today to name one game from Atari, NES, or SNES, they wouldn't have a clue what the hell you were talking about. They would be like "I know those words but that sentence makes no sense." You tell them you had a Nintendo when you were a kid and they'll look at you with a puzzled look and say "Wii?" No. A Nintendo Entertainment System. Heart surgery with a butterknife was a daily occurrence. Asthma attacks were a daily occurrence. Kickboxing was a daily occurrence. They have no clue. Back then, if you apply just a little bit of violence to the machine it often fixed the problem. Now a slight tap and it's like "SHIT! IT BROKE!

My Nintendo once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Edited by The Blackangel

I own a few games that I don't want to play, because I rather spending my time on games with less bugs, better graphics and more things to do. I have got a small box for old DVDs which I may use in future. Some of them I play after time, and the rest I store, and eventually borrow them to others.