Register Now
StaceyPowers

How do you react to game delays?

When a game you are excited for gets delayed, what is your reaction? Do you feel frustrated? Angry? Mildly annoyed? Or optimistic that at least it might mean a less buggy release?

I’m so far behind generationally that this isn’t really applicable for me. If a game I am interested in gets delayed, it makes no difference for me since it will be months after its release that I will get to pick it up anyway. Plus, knowing me, even if that were not the case, I’d likely wait to get most things until they come down in price.

A good game come late is a precious memory in the end. A bad game pushed out too early gains a reputation as a band game that's difficult to shake. So yes, it's far better to delay a game than to release it half cooked, but this dilemma can be avoided by having the common sense to not announce release dates to take in those precious pre-orders well before you can possibly know for sure if the game will actually be ready by then, and that is the problem. Game publishers these days are too keen on cashing on pre-orders to realize that announcing a game release a months and months before they can be sure when it'll be finished by said date is a stupid idea. So no, I don't have problem with game delays, but I do take issue with why the usually happen.

Edited by Shagger

I think in the current worldwide situation we need to come to terms with the fact there are going to be game delays. As long as they use the time wisely and continue development on the game and remove bugs then I don't mind them being delayed as long as the delays don't run into years.

On 5/4/2020 at 5:54 PM, digital said:

I think in the current worldwide situation we need to come to terms with the fact there are going to be game delays. As long as they use the time wisely and continue development on the game and remove bugs then I don't mind them being delayed as long as the delays don't run into years.

This year is going to be different though. A lot of games would be delaying into 2022. I am sure they have a lot of time now than they may even change game engines. 

I have to agree with @digital. This pandemic has driven the economy almost to a standstill in a lot of areas. But in doing so, it gives a lot of industries extra time to look into things and make improvements, and fix issues that they didn't catch initially. Say there was a game that I was looking for that was supposed to come out on June 22nd. I just pulled a date out of my ass there. With the state of affairs now, >Insert Game Company Name< will have extra time to both improve their games, and put everything under a microscope to fix as many errors as the development team can find. If that means that I have to wait until holiday season or spring 2021, then I have no problem, other than a little disappointment and frustration. But as it sits, I have several hundred games to play anyway, so I have no shortage of video game entertainment.

Personally I find it frustrating when the release of a game is delayed, or even an update in an existing game, especially if it's a game/update I am really looking forward to. I think it's unprofessional.

On 7/5/2020 at 1:55 AM, ARx182 said:

Personally I find it frustrating when the release of a game is delayed, or even an update in an existing game, especially if it's a game/update I am really looking forward to. I think it's unprofessional.

It is frustrating but not unprofessional. I mean a lot of game studios are working from home right now to make new games but those with big rendering and simulation may not be finished till 2021. so not unprofessional these are hard times. 

I mentioned this in the Cyberpunk 2077 delayed thread, but I'll reiterate the point here. It's always the right decision to delay a game to ensure it's quality and/or to prevent crunch and additional stress on the developer's employees. Gamers will wait for wait a good game and will be more forgiving of a game delayed that's worth the wait than a broken mess pushed out the door.

However, the mistake that I believe ultimately causes these delays to happen so often in recent years isn't development problems, it's greed. Game companies want to announce release date as early as possible, so they can start taking pre-orders as early as possible. Some games make their release announcements close to year in advance to get those pre-sales, but there is no way that they can be certain that a game would ready that far in advance. It's almost inevitable that the schedule they have set out doesn't actually work out that way, forcing them into that choice to delay or release a game busted.  Game publishers can announce a game's existence to promote it, maybe even narrow a release date down to quarter, but don't give a specific date until you know it's going to be ready. It's not fucking difficult.