Register Now
The Blackangel

COVID-19 and gaming

Cabin fever is about to make me completely lose my mind. I’m sure a lot of you feel the same. But just how severe has the cabin fever gone for you? For me, not even gaming helps. I’ve played, and replayed my games so many times that I’ve burned out completely on gaming. The games I’ve gotten here, the ones I’ve gotten in the Nintendo eStore, and the ones I’ve had but never played until now. Insanity is seriously about to set in. No TV shows or movies are any help. 

But this post is directly about how the virus is affecting you and gaming. So what’s it done to you?

I've actually been gaming less in an effort to not feel shut in. I go on walks a lot since the weather is nice here and I'm trying to find other hobbies like playing guitar and gardening. Still game a lot at night, been playing FFVII Remake since it came out. I've also started playing WOW again with friends and it's pretty much the only social interaction I get anymore.

My life more or less revolves around my PC and game consoles as well, but I still like to see something other than the same 4 walls closing in, inch by inch, and making every room smaller and smaller every day. Claustrophobia is one of my biggest problems. And being stuck inside is one of the biggest causes of it to kick into high gear.

This chart looks at how Steam's daily active user statistic has changed over the past year. In particular, the coronavirus and the associated lockdowns, layoffs, and economic stimulus, and how these factors influenced people's gaming habits. Obviously, the development of the pandemic is a complex subject, with countless milestones and landmarks to map out the events over time, but it would be impractical for me to include them all. 

mzut8ihcn1z51.png

So yeah

I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum, here. I'm as busy as I ever was. Everything that existed in my life prior to COVID still exists and still takes up just as much of my time, it's just all online now and done from my bedroom/office. I feel like I almost have less time to play video games these days than I did before the pandemic. 
Of course, when the pandemic first started (March through May, basically) and everything was cancelled and everyone was on lockdown, I probably played a lot of games then. And went on a lot of walks. A looooooot of walks.

On 4/18/2020 at 10:23 PM, Shagger said:

I've been mixing it up. Gaming here, bit of Netflix there, social media and YouTube in between. I'm not doing too bad, but it's getting harder.

Seriously, it was a very horrible experience for me. I'm never the overly indoor type, so when it's not my decision to stay indoors, it's always challenging for me to cope well with it. 

I did virtually almost everything to keep myself and my family lively but in the end everything still became boring.