Register Now
GeppyX

Why do some games not work on my fat PS3?

This is most likely a problem with the console itself, possibly overrating. If it is an original fat PS3 then it will be well over 10 years old now. Try given the vents and fans a good clean and position the console so there's plenty of space for the air to flow through it. If the problem persists then I'm afraid there isn't much you can do, this is just what can easily happen with older consoles, especially early versions of them.

Edited by Shagger

Are they PS2 games? The early releases of the PS3 supported PS2 games, but they caused overheating and the system to crash. So Sony rereleased the PS3 without PS2 capabilities, even though PS2 is still mentioned on the home screen. If you’re running PS2 games, you would be better off getting a PS2 to play them on.

The PS5 is almost out, the real question is, why are you still playing on the PS3? 😛

Jokes aside, it’s probably an issue with the ventilation. Worth trying some solutions listed above.

Edited by ARx182

I have to agree with Shagger's response. Your console is really old by now. When's the last time you cleaned it? Order a can of compressed air, take your console apart, and spray away any dust and yuck from your hardware. 

It's also strange that they work, and then suddenly stop. You could also have a problem with some of your discs. First try airing out your console and if that doesn't work you're only a few bucks down the drain for the air.

On 4/28/2020 at 12:56 AM, GeppyX said:

No they are PS3 games. I can try to make it not overheat. I wonder if I buy them on psn if that solves it.

Just try and take the console for proper maintenance and servicing. It's the only way to get it fully functional again. 

On 10/14/2021 at 12:52 AM, Head_Hunter said:

You should check the space, if their is some space left for games to run successfully without crashing down. Remember low storage unit crashes a console and makes it malfunctioning. 

It's not really a space or storage problem from how the OP described the issue with the PS3 not playing those games it's supposed to. It's purely maintenance fault. 

On 6/21/2020 at 9:45 PM, ARx182 said:

The PS5 is almost out, the real question is, why are you still playing on the PS3? 😛

Jokes aside, it’s probably an issue with the ventilation. Worth trying some solutions listed above.

Playstation 5 is already here and a lot of gamers have it already but it doesn't mean playing with PS3 is a gaming sin. 

On 6/21/2020 at 1:45 PM, ARx182 said:

It's a year and a half later and I can't get my hands on a PS5. Heck, I don't even remember posting this thread lol. I was having issues with my PS3 though recently and can't play any discs. And the notifications on this site made me realize I posted this and had this problem last year too.