Register Now
Voltairus

FF7 Remake is better than expected because it distanced itself from the original

Remaking an old game is both a huge compliment and a biting insult. 

On one hand, you’re saying that this game is a beloved classic, and we need to devote resources toward recreating its brilliance for a modern audience. But then again, you’re also saying that this game doesn’t hold up to today’s standards, and it needs an update to remain relevant. Whether it’s simply a cosmetic makeover (like most HD remasters), or a ground-up overhaul that changes the game’s design (like Resident Evil 2 and 3’s remakes), the message is clear: these remakes are meant to replace the originals.

That’s what most people assumed Final Fantasy VII Remake was going to do. A straight retelling with prettier graphics and a new battle system would’ve been well-received, and for much of FF7R’s runtime, that’s exactly what it is. But by the time the credits roll, you realize that this game was never meant to be a replacement to the PS1 classic. In fact, I’d say that only people with at least a passing knowledge of the original game will fully grasp what the remake is trying to accomplish. It’s a companion piece, a love letter, a reverent yet subversive remix. It’s not the game I thought it would be, and it’s all the better for it.

FULL REVIEW: http://gyglounge.com/final-fantasy-vii-remake-a-refreshing-twist-on-a-classic/

FF7-remake-e1587916566920.png

Welcome to the forums @Voltairus, and I couldn't agree with you more. It is important it is to maintain a sense of purity for a remake, but stubbornly sticking to elements of storytelling and writing that were just make for a different time and for a different standard not only makes it less enjoyable for old fans, but can comprise the game itself and make it worse than it could have been.

I recently tried the Trials of Mana Remake (You can download a demo from Steam) and my god this needed an overhaul of its story like the FF7 remake appears to have got. Because I never played the original,  I can't be sure it's exactly the same, but in terms of storytelling this feels like from 1995 and for all wrong reasons. The plot is cliché, the characters are beyond stupid and set-ups pathetically predicable. It's just nowhere near the standers of a game even a few years older, never mind the standers of a game in 2020. It's such a shame because the game itself is gorgeous and the gameplay, whilst maybe a little simplistic, is enjoyable.

Star Fox: Zero also fell flat on its ass in terms of storytelling because it was a re-tread of the same story from Starfox 64, which itself was a re-tread of the plot from the original Starfox. A game from 1992. That game had other even more serious problems than that, but that's a whorl other set of gripes that don't apply here.

I'm not saying these remakes need to move from being Disney flicks to become Quintin Tarantino films to be taken seriously, all I'm saying that developers can honour the original characters and stories by re-telling with a writing created for a modern audience aiming for modern standards. Don't make the game that it was, make the game that it could have been if it was never made and only came out today. As far as I can tell, that's what FF7 Remake has done with its creative liberty and I like that.

From the way you guys are talking you would hate the FF8 remaster. With one exception, it's pretty much just enhanced graphics. The exception is the items. The few that you had to get through a PocketStation are now available in the game. Angelo Has to dig them up in a battle, but they're still there. I've gotten more than 10 Ribbons, and close to 10 Friendships. I'm still hoping for a Mogs Amulet, but haven't been that lucky yet. I would have loved to see some addons to the game. Even if it was just extra side quests. But, alas, there was none. I was one of the 4 people in the gaming world that didn't like FF7 to begin with, but if the story has been altered and the characters updated, I may give it another shot. I'll just have to relearn the whole materia thing, seeing as I haven't played it in more than 20 years. Not since I discovered FF8, which is my absolute favorite game, not counting NES games.

50 minutes ago, Demon_skeith said:

I hear they did a good enough job making its own game, I have yet to play it but I tend to once the second part of the game is released. Whenever that might be.

You can say DLC because as per the developers the new additions will be DLCs for the game.