Register Now
GobletFire

Toxicity

Playing any online game comes with toxicity at different levels. Feel free to add to my idea of it, but I think of toxicity as anything a player does that prevents you from being able or wanting to play a game. I'm curious to know- how does everyone else deal with it? Also what kind of toxicity do you most often see?

I think it's pretty universal for people to hear two people verbally going at it in a pregame lobby. For me, it's easy to mute. Since I've been playing fighting games lately, I've been seeing a lot of move spammers. But I don't back down from them. Spamming is a playstyle... a really bad one, but still one people use. In my mind, learning to beat move spammers is a satisfying feeling. Like training paying off. 

I'm not an online gamer, but back in the day, I did play at a couple gaming cafe's. People there got really intense with each other in the head to head modes on games. I stayed away from that, as it was a headache that I didn't need. That was more than 20 years ago though. These days, I no longer play any form of online gaming. But I do have some games that are so difficult that it's beyond the unfair stage to the point of cruelty by the designers (they're ROM-hacks) that I can only play them a couple times a year. About a month ago, I finally beat the 3rd dungeon of one that I had been trying to beat for almost a year. It's a Zelda ROM-hack on SNES. When I make a little bit of progress, I shut it off and take a VERY long break from that game. Meaning months and months. Possibly more than a year. Another game that I have that I refuse to play is the DKC trilogy on SNES. I've beaten the first 2 but never even played the third. I only own it because I wanted to complete the trilogy. I don't play it anymore because every time I do I end up going nuclear bitch in roid-rage. It pisses me off so bad, that I just don't even put them in the machine anymore. And haven't for probably more than 10 years.

TL/DR

I just don't go around things that I know will be toxic for me. If I'm unaware, then I learn from the situation, move on, and try not to make the same screw up again.

Trashtalk can be excusable though if the two are friends. It's been my experience that friends talk shit to each other all the time, but it's mostly all in jest. When that's the situation, I see no problem, personally. I've never been in that situation, because I've literally never had a friend. But I've seen it second hand.

11 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

Trashtalk can be excusable though if the two are friends. It's been my experience that friends talk shit to each other all the time, but it's mostly all in jest. When that's the situation, I see no problem, personally. I've never been in that situation, because I've literally never had a friend. But I've seen it second hand.

Why have you never had a friend? Everyone has friends 🙂

13 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

The problem in MMO and MOBA world is that trahstalk leads to rank falls and massive reporting. 

I know all about toxicity on online games, and to be completely truthful, I've been toxic on games myself - not that I'm proud of it but a bit of toxic banter hasn't ever hurt anyone haha. You'll find out all about toxicity if you play a couple of random Fortnite squads, especially if you pair with a group of 3 12-year-old friends. If you know you know.

14 hours ago, ARx182 said:

I know all about toxicity on online games, and to be completely truthful, I've been toxic on games myself - not that I'm proud of it but a bit of toxic banter hasn't ever hurt anyone haha. You'll find out all about toxicity if you play a couple of random Fortnite squads, especially if you pair with a group of 3 12-year-old friends. If you know you know.

Being toxic towards a game is lot better than being toxic towards players, their origin, religion, and their ethnicity or the color. World just recovered from that time, no need to go back.