Register Now
Shovide

Do you use any third-party game stores outside of Steam?

So, as the title says, I want to ask if you purchase video games or in-game items on third-party websites outside of Steam and other original platforms in order to save money. I know it's only about a couple of bucks but it seems to be profitable in the long-term, especially for me buying 1-2 titles a month. Is using such platforms dangerous? If so, how do you identify the safe ones? Obviously, reading reddit reviews is a must, but what else do you do?

If I'm buying games in that kind of situation, it's almost exclusively through the Nintendo eShop. I've gotten some through Steam, and had no issues so far. A lot of it, I think, would depend on the game and the notoriety of the developer. If you're unsure just check their reputation, and game output. If they look shady, regardless of how good the game looks, then I would stay the hell away from them.

5 hours ago, skyfire said:

GOG and Humble Bundle are two worth checking out now and then. Though humble bundle is more indie game centric store. I'd say that GOG is lot better and comfortable store to work around with. 

I just need to point out GOG isn't a third party store. It's owned and operated by CD Project Red, just like how Stream is owned and operated by Valve. Humble Bundle is a good one though. Unlike  key resellers such as G2A (Avoid them like they're COVID-19), they actually do well for developers, especially indie's. I don't really tend go for third party stuff even it is legit, it just feels safer and more appropriate buying from proper store fronts like Steam, Epic Game Store and the aforementioned GOG.

The thing I like about humble bundle is that they also do revive discounts for some old titles. And they may also have bundles specific to the developers. I do agree on GOG part, I just wanted to add that considering it too has bundles and offers of various indie and other game devs. itch is another good for the indie devs. 

Yes, I use the Epic Games Store. They recently offered GTA V Premium for free which got a lot of interest. If there is a game store than can knock Steam right off its perch, it is the Epic Games Store. Epic Games are incredibly smart.