Register Now
StaceyPowers

COVID-19 pushing people to acknowledge gaming can be good for us?

I noticed while I was doing some research the other day that I am finding more articles in major news outlets and psychology sites which talk about the benefits of playing video games.

In the past, when I would look up video games and psychology, I’d usually find endless articles about video game addiction.

But since COVID, I have been seeing articles talking about how multiplayer gaming helps us stay socially connected, and how gaming is helping people restore a sense of calm and control in a scary world.

Has anyone else noticed this shift? I really hope that after COVID, psychologists continue to acknowledge—and maybe study—more of these positive effects of playing video games.

I also hope (but do not expect) that this whole thing will help people without disabilities maybe get some insights into what it is like to be disabled. A lot of us who report positive psychological effects from playing games are disabled, and exist “partly quarantined” all of the time, simply because we can’t get out and do the things other people enjoy. I hope that during COVID, abled persons will learn more about what being homebound is like and why games can be extra-important for those of us who are disabled.

I doubt the positive reviews will last. After we get out of this pandemic (assuming we do at all) they will go right back to bitching about video game addiction. Video games rot the mind, video games make people violent, video games make you worship the devil, etc. etc. etc. As gamers, we're never going to get the upper hand. Hell, we're never going to get the even hand. 

I am viewing this in a good way. You can say the gaming being accepted as a norm is a good in a way. But long enough you can say that it may lead another form of the addiction which may affect people because a lot of people are already getting nervous anxious and angry and they use it on games. Which has it's own set of issues. So we need healthy people playing the game which is good for community. 

Well, it's not just gaming.  It's just the idea that people need a routine.  For instance, in prison, for example, (sorry for extreme example - LOL) people struggle for this more than anything - cause they don't want to go insane.

Now, myself, I can always keep busy with massive internet projects.  The one I'm doing now is creating a music lesson site.

Edited by Jayson

8 hours ago, Jayson said:

Well, it's not just gaming.  It's just the idea that people need a routine.  For instance, in prison, for example, (sorry for extreme example - LOL) people struggle for this more than anything - cause they don't want to go insane.

Now, myself, I can always keep busy with massive internet projects.  The one I'm doing now is creating a music lesson site.

Being on the inside is hell. No privileges. But that’s the point. We weren’t allowed anything to entertain ourselves but books and occasionally TV. If you didn’t spend a lot of time in the yard, you weren’t left with much else.

Totally agree with you all here, there will be a time when we're all called out again. To be honest though it does kind of seem an American thing to do this. In Europe, only a few articles have popped up, that iv'e seen anyway. They need to 'control' us at the moment and we need to stay at home, so this is the reason for it.

2 hours ago, RedmondG said:

Totally agree with you all here, there will be a time when we're all called out again. To be honest though it does kind of seem an American thing to do this. In Europe, only a few articles have popped up, that iv'e seen anyway. They need to 'control' us at the moment and we need to stay at home, so this is the reason for it.

I think that call would be even before the vaccine is out. The reason being we would be told to join the herd immunity as guinea pig before say anything serious they can develop out of this.