Register Now
StaceyPowers

Minimum length for a good gaming session?

What is the minimum length of time you need to really enjoy a session of gaming? If I am playing an arena FPS game, a single 20 minute round can be satisfying (and about all my disabled body can handle on PC anyway). But for most other types of games, especially on console, I’d say I need a minimum of an hour to really immerse myself in a gaming session.

Depends as it's hard to say exactly how long a gaming session should take. Generally speaking, 2 -3 hours is satisfactory. When I get started, it may require to be something that will take a very long time to successfully complete. On the otherhand, it does depend on the type/genre of video game that I'm playing to how long a "minimum length" should be. 

Edited by Alexander.

I think good gaming experience is more or less like dependent on who you are playing with. I think it's not easy to gauge that duration. I have seen some people having good gaming experience with the 1 hour of gameplay but it's not consistent for all of us. 

It really depends on how much time i got in my hands, if i'm on a tight freetime, i wouldn't launch a game because i really hate feeling limited to a period of time when it comes to doing things (i have this phobia since high school exams days xD).

When i'm full of freetime, then i would keep playing till i feel bored.

Comes down to what you are gaming, If I was doing flights in my flight simulator then it can be from 3 hours to 10 hours. With five hours flight for an example at least I can take around 2 hours max to do what I need to do then for the rest of five hours just relax and move around the home and I don't even need to be in front of the PC 😛

Most of the time 3 hours is a good amount 🙂 If I have more time then maybe more. 

I think it depends on what type of gaming you are playing and what you are trying to achieve. I have never really thought about it until now but I guess for me, around two hours would constitute a good gaming session. It gives me just enough time to engage with the game and make some good progress, without spending too long on it. I would however love to play for longer periods but I am just unable to do this at the moment.

In Dark Souls it's usually when I've encountered a new bonfire or boss, though some awesome gear and consumables also help with me wrapping up a nice session. In the case of II: Scholar of the First Sin though, it was highly addictive because I kept on killing boss after boss, discovering zone after zone. I've just finished it today though so New Game + is where my latest session has ended.

But aye, it depends on the game. Sometimes it's when I've done a level, or 100%'d a previously visited one, and sometimes it's when I'm significantly closer to finishing it because the game's boring me to tears.

For me, it would depend on whether or not it's a game I've already played before. If it's a game that's new to me, there's only so much plot and new stuff I can absorb at once before I need to have some time to process it and think about it. I'm the same way with books and TV shows; I have no idea how people binge-watch stuff. In that situation, I might only be sitting there for an hour or two. If it's a game I've already played before and I'm familiar with, I can easily while away an entire afternoon on it.

I'd say a good session needs to be at least 2 hours long. For this reason I don't even bother starting gaming after 10pm, because I know by 12 I'll probably be too tired to go on.

And I don't start gaming unless I Have a completely clear agenda for the day. If I still have tasks or need to be somewhere later that day, it's all ruined for me.

For example when I was in college there was a day of the week where I only had to be at school by 11:50. Which meant that my morning was free until about 11:00. I usually woke up around 7:30, so that meant I had over 3 hours. I've tried gaming a few times, and it was an awful experience. Every 2 minutes I'd check the clock whether my time was up or not.