Register Now
StaceyPowers

Are there types of weapons you tend to prefer across most games you play?

@The Blackangel was mentioning not preferring guns in general in video games, and it made me curious if there are types of weapons which everyone here tends to prefer or avoid across the board between games. For example, I have a tendency to like shotguns in most games, because they tend to just feel "satisfying," and a tendency to avoid bow and arrows in most games, because it feels "sluggish."

For the most part, I like a sword and a bow. I like the hand to hand combat style of the sword. It's actual combat to me instead of a sniper picking someone off from 1000 yards. The bow I like because it's a virtually silent projectile, and the ammunition is reusable. It requires more stealth than a gun does to be able to get in range and not alert your target that you're even in the vicinity. It just appeals to me more than a gun does in video games. It takes me to another time when people only had those options and fought with honor. The greatest insult back then was to kill a man with his own blade. Nowadays, there's not a lot of that mindset left when you can kill someone from so far away that you can't even tell if they have a beard or tits.

I just don't see a lot of honor in modern fighting, and I saw plenty in the military.

5 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

For the most part, I like a sword and a bow. I like the hand to hand combat style of the sword. It's actual combat to me instead of a sniper picking someone off from 1000 yards. The bow I like because it's a virtually silent projectile, and the ammunition is reusable. It requires more stealth than a gun does to be able to get in range and not alert your target that you're even in the vicinity. It just appeals to me more than a gun does in video games. It takes me to another time when people only had those options and fought with honor. The greatest insult back then was to kill a man with his own blade. Nowadays, there's not a lot of that mindset left when you can kill someone from so far away that you can't even tell if they have a beard or tits.

I just don't see a lot of honor in modern fighting, and I saw plenty in the military.

I do actually like the bow in TLOU for the reasons you mentioned. I have to admit I love sniping though. I guess I crave feeling in control more than feeling honourable (probably because I don't feel I have much control IRL).

It really depends on the game, for example I also tend to avoid bows or crossbows but in games like Last of Us, Horizon Zero Dawn and RDR2 bows really come in handy. So there is no specific weapon for me that I would like to use on all games. My weapon of choice depends on the actual game.

I prefer sniper if it's battle royale but for the DOOM type of the games, lasers and the bomb type projectile is pretty much something I prefer most of the time.And also it's fun to try out that type of the weapon. 

It really depends on the genre of the video game I'm playing. For example, Sniper is my favourite for battle royale and for adventure games, it has to be the Semi Automatic Gun. On the otherhand, it is fun to try out different types of weapondry whilst gaming. 

On 5/19/2020 at 11:30 PM, Alexander. said:

It really depends on the genre of the video game I'm playing. For example, Sniper is my favourite for battle royale and for adventure games, it has to be the Semi Automatic Gun. On the otherhand, it is fun to try out different types of weapondry whilst gaming. 

A lot of semi automatic guns come into my mind. I think there seems to be ton load of those in COD if I remember. In case of PUBG not many though. 

2 hours ago, skyfire said:

A lot of semi automatic guns come into my mind. I think there seems to be ton load of those in COD if I remember. In case of PUBG not many though. 

What's your favourite semi automatic gun and why? Call of Duty developers have made their graphics as realistic as possible and aimed their target audience at young adults. COD developers have replicated various situations and potential scenarios as best they can to reproduce planet earth's weaponry and former World Wars. 

Edited by Alexander.

17 hours ago, Alexander. said:

What's your favourite semi automatic gun and why? Call of Duty developers have made their graphics as realistic as possible and aimed their target audience at young adults. COD developers have replicated various situations and potential scenarios as best they can to reproduce planet earth's weaponry and former World Wars. 

Yes the thing is that COD is being used by the trainers too I heard in fact it is being used as a tactic game by some of the terrorirsts too if I recall. I moslty prefer sniper and M4A1 and AK47. 

7 hours ago, skyfire said:

Yes the thing is that COD is being used by the trainers too I heard in fact it is being used as a tactic game by some of the terrorirsts too if I recall. I moslty prefer sniper and M4A1 and AK47. 

Not so much as you might think. I know the marines say that if they were going to train their soldiers with a "toy" they would just send them into battle with water guns, and cut out the middle man. But then again, the marines are arrogant narcissistic assholes, so I wouldn't recommend taking anything they say as having value. I know this because, as ashamed as I am to admit it, I was in the marines.

On 5/23/2020 at 11:29 PM, The Blackangel said:

Not so much as you might think. I know the marines say that if they were going to train their soldiers with a "toy" they would just send them into battle with water guns, and cut out the middle man. But then again, the marines are arrogant narcissistic assholes, so I wouldn't recommend taking anything they say as having value. I know this because, as ashamed as I am to admit it, I was in the marines.

I wonder if there are any simulations being used by marines today, do you think they are into it?

2 hours ago, SaucyPastaTho said:

Most games I play are usually FPS so I use assault rifles and SMGS.

Why are they your go-to weapon? Specifically speaking, are there any Assault Rifles or SMGS types, that are your favourite?  Do you enjoy trying out alternative guns in video games too? 

Edited by Alexander.

7 hours ago, skyfire said:

I wonder if there are any simulations being used by marines today, do you think they are into it?

The last I knew, they don't use simulations at all. It's all firsthand. Aside from actually being shot at, you go through what you would/could in actual battle.

15 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

The last I knew, they don't use simulations at all. It's all firsthand. Aside from actually being shot at, you go through what you would/could in actual battle.

That is battle royale in real life. Kind of scary but yeah sometimes the resistance is in head and not heart.