Register Now
StaceyPowers

What do you think the next gen consoles will cost?

At launch I can see them running $600+ depending on where you are. Which is completely ludicrous to me. I won't be buying one at that time. I'll give it a year or two, then think about it, but the only one that would ever be in my sights is the PS5. I still don't like Xbox.

On 5/18/2020 at 8:33 AM, skyfire said:

Let's say anything from 499 USD onwards maybe? If it has VR then definitely more cost depending on how you see the price may fluctuate after the corona virus lockdown lift. 

Yep I will say at least 499, this might  be one of the most expensive launch, the biggest was obviusly the ps3 with their 599 price tag. Also lets take in consideration that the launch price for the ps4 was 399.99 and that probably helped the sales.

I'm not surprised to see both Sony and Microsoft being so hesitant to reveal the cost of their respective consoles because pricing a games console is not simple. Obviously, they both want the other to show their hand first to avoid having to announce an unappealing price, but there's more to it than that.

Back in the early 90's there was a console  that tried to take on the juggernauts that were Sega and Nintendo,  the 3DO. The company and the console was the brainchild of Electronic Arts founder Trip Hawkins. It was a phenomenally powerful games console for its time, way more capable than it's 16Bit rivals, but it failed mostly because of one problem. Ridiculously expensive. There was a good reason for that aside its powerful components. Instead of making the consoles themselves, 3D0 had other established electronics companies manufacture the consoles to agreed specifications and sell them, whilst 3D0 would sell the games. Because of that, these manufacturers had to mark the price up as there was no other way to make money on them other than that initial sale of the console. It's just like if Philips sold you a CD player, they have to make their cut on that sale as somebody else was selling the CD's.

You could say the 3DO was more like a what we think of as a modern gaming PC because you buy the device from a 3rd party s a utility where the manufactures of the components need that mark up to make money of these things, then you buy the games from somebody else. That combined with the benefits of mass production is why consoles are so much cheaper than PC's.

Back to the point. You can surely see now where first party consoles, especially modern consoles with subscription services and digital goods sales, have an advantage. They make money buy you buying games and services for the system, so can even afford to sell at a loss and still make the manufacturer money. What matters to them is that they get it into your home. Of course, they don't want to make it too cheap either, breaking even or making  a small profit on the hardware sale would be nice as well, so it's not an easy thing to balance. I don't ever whoever it is that has to make that call for the Series X or the PS5, just imagine getting that wrong.

I remember the 3DO. It looked awesome, but when I saw the price I almost shit myself, as did pretty much everyone. Walmart had them for an extremely short time. I heard in a roundabout way, that in a year they only managed to sell one. The rest they sent back and demanded being reimbursed or something. The system was just bad for business. Great system, don't get me wrong. But bad business. Even now, they're more money than they're worth.

I’ve heard rumours that the PS5 will cost around £500. Hopefully that includes the package (controllers + games) because £500 for just the console would be way too expensive. It will sell nonetheless, but £350ish for just the console is reasonable and ideal.

£500 = $630.30
£350 = $441.21

So I was most likely right on the prices. $600+ for the system. At least at launch. The British pound is worth more than the American dollar.

£1 = $1.26

But then, the American dollar is getting close to the worthless point these days anyway. A lot of countries that we used to trade with (pre trump) started to refuse to take it. Simply because it doesn't maintain it's value. It has slightly more value in conversion to the Euro.

€1 = $1.13

So at least that's progress I guess. But then I don't know where all the Euro is accepted, and with Brexit, I don't know if the UK is still accepting it or not. Assuming they did to begin with anyway.

I'm almost 100% completely ignorant of foreign politics, but then most Americans are. An interesting thing is, that you guys pay more attention to our politics than we typically do. But I think you do it just for the laughs.

Edited by The Blackangel

2 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

£500 = $630.30
£350 = $441.21

So I was most likely right on the prices. $600+ for the system. At least at launch. The British pound is worth more than the American dollar.

£1 = $1.26

But then, the American dollar is getting close to the worthless point these days anyway. A lot of countries that we used to trade with (pre trump) started to refuse to take it. Simply because it doesn't maintain it's value. It has slightly more value in conversion to the Euro.

€1 = $1.13

So at least that's progress I guess. But then I don't know where all the Euro is accepted, and with Brexit, I don't know if the UK is still accepting it or not. Assuming they did to begin with anyway.

I'm almost 100% completely ignorant of foreign politics, but then most Americans are. An interesting thing is, that you guys pay more attention to our politics than we typically do. But I think you do it just for the laughs.

I'm shocked that the British pound is worth more than the American dollar, especially involving the whole situation with Brexit and COVID-19 at the moment. You guys must be doing something really special to be worse than us right now haha.

Your last point is spot on. Don't think any of us care about American politics, but mocking Trump seems to be a global trend.

On 6/12/2020 at 6:36 PM, kingpotato said:

Yep I will say at least 499, this might  be one of the most expensive launch, the biggest was obviusly the ps3 with their 599 price tag. Also lets take in consideration that the launch price for the ps4 was 399.99 and that probably helped the sales.

I think during the christmas people are going to spend anything upto 599 as it is for the devices. So knowing that fact, they are going to push for the price. But considering economy around the world is tanking. So yeah this year price is going to be secret I guess. 

On 6/16/2020 at 2:29 PM, ARx182 said:

I'm shocked that the British pound is worth more than the American dollar, especially involving the whole situation with Brexit and COVID-19 at the moment. You guys must be doing something really special to be worse than us right now haha.

Your last point is spot on. Don't think any of us care about American politics, but mocking Trump seems to be a global trend.

I think that regardless of who is in office, foreigners have always gotten a laugh out of American politics. It's fucking nuts.

On 6/17/2020 at 12:59 AM, ARx182 said:

Don't think any of us care about American politics, but mocking Trump seems to be a global trend.

LOL. It is indeed funny considering I was checking facebook lately and bunch of guys from middle east and EU were laughing on US politics. I mean imagine middle east nations that thrive on chinese debt and global begging.. Wait a second .. it's like pot calling kettle... and all that. 

On 6/19/2020 at 12:13 AM, skyfire said:

I think during the christmas people are going to spend anything upto 599 as it is for the devices. So knowing that fact, they are going to push for the price. But considering economy around the world is tanking. So yeah this year price is going to be secret I guess. 

I agree that a price up to $599 seems likely. The only thing I think would suppress that down to $500 or so would be reduced demand because of economi c issues.