Register Now
Voltairus

There's glimmers of hope for a Simpsons: Hit & Run remake/remaster - is this GTA clone worth revisiting?

I can’t tell whether I’m tired of the remakes (or endless rumors of remakes) that we seem to get every week.

On one hand, there have been some incredible remakes, like the Final Fantasy 7 remake. On the other hand, we’ve been disappointed by the unadulterated disaster that was Warcraft 3: Reforged.

That’s why talk of a possible remake of The Simpsons: Hit & Run (2003) is both exciting and terrifying.

One of the lead producers of the game told GamesRadar last October that he could see a remake or a remaster happening on different platforms.

“It would have to take the parties who are in charge of the property to want that to happen and someone out there to decide that they were going to go out and do it,” Vlad Ceraldi said in the article. “But absolutely, it would be fun to explore those characters and that universe again, that work again.”

While it may seem like a long shot, there is definitely a community still out there asking for a remake or remaster, so hopefully we see some better news before the television show hits its fortieth season.

Due to these hopeful rumors, I decided it was time to take a stroll down Memory Evergreen Terrace and visit the Simpsons once again with the question of “Does this still hold up? Is it still fun? Should anyone play this game today?”

Well, the only answer I can truly decide on is:

FULL RETROSPECTIVE:  https://gyglounge.com/retrospective-the-simpsons-hit-run/

simpsons1.png

This one just doesn’t seem worth it as far as I’m concerned.  It would be a licensing nightmare,  The Show has gone downhill, it's not aged well since most of the jokes reference episodes from so long ago and honestly, the game wasn't even that great back then.  It was just a 6 or 7 out of 10 GTA clone with Simpsons characters.

1 hour ago, Crazycrab said:

This one just doesn’t seem worth it as far as I’m concerned.  It would be a licensing nightmare,  The Show has gone downhill, it's not aged well since most of the jokes reference episodes from so long ago and honestly, the game wasn't even that great back then.  It was just a 6 or 7 out of 10 GTA clone with Simpsons characters.

Yeah but look at how they pulled off the South Park games by referencing older seasons. The gags in it & Run would stay the same, unless that whole business with Apu nowadays ruins it...

10 hours ago, Voltairus said:

Yeah but look at how they pulled off the South Park games by referencing older seasons. The gags in it & Run would stay the same, unless that whole business with Apu nowadays ruins it...

The two shows have different approaches towards humour. South Park is shock humour and social/political satire, whereas The Simpsons takes a family friendly, character driven comedy approach more about mirroring pop culture. There's nothing wrong with either approach, but the problem The Simpsons have is kids don't stay kids and pop culture is constantly changing and moving on, so it really doesn't age well compared to the likes of South Park.

Part of me really hates to say it because I like The Simpsons, but I think @Crazycrabis right. Peel away the dated jokes and Simpsons theme from Hit and Run and what you end up with is a mediocre, kid friendly GTA clone. Sorry, but it just won't work.