Register Now
GUERILLA

Worst trope/underutilized mechanic in fighting games

one of the most critical aspects of combat is what the Japanese call  "KUZUSHI"

Its CRITICAL in all non mechanical (no gun) combat IE close quarters

KUZUSHI literally means the unbalacning of your opponent

this can take many forms...

1 shoves (like Spartan kick and football block/shoulder thrust)

2 trips

3 lifting (slams)

4 tilts .... (tipping an opponant @ their COG)

5 towing... (draging or pulling)

This is a terribly underutilized combat mechanic in videogame history

the original game that mastered this principle was Street Fighter 2 in that it allows you to intersperse grappling and striking techniques seamlessly

The K1 kickboxing series of video games also had a version of this and frankly executed even better yet lacked the dramatic slams and throws unfortunately

what a shame they never made a muay thai game with stadium style slam counters!!!

The only problem in most of the OG fighters was the mysterious knockdown trope that broke rhythm that was otherwise well represented

That weird system where an opponent would be knocked flat on their back and only be available for a single "free hit" before they sprang to their feet seemingly unaffected by their momentary comatose state

That and the "air juggle" should have been put down quick but the game mechanic was literally awesome and people loved it... they could have just done that with a character on their feet too wobbled to stop the combo

Its the secondary attack mechanic of the grapple / throw (KUZUSHI) that makes it such an important aspect to add in your fighting mechanics

I hope in the future video game designers get better at interspersing KUZUSHI into the contest

It is a uniquely useful and very Dynamic type of attack that changes the typical video game fighting contest and maintains a more realistic game rythm especially in your hand-to-hand Fighters but it should be included in literally every game including shooters

Spartan kicking or hockey sticking your opponent and then taking aim after they go flying backwards would be a extremely popular and very realistic aspect of Close Quarters combat

The generic melee attack is just too much of a trope

Give us more options and secondary attacks that utilize throws, trips, slams, tows and lifts and especially shoves

They all have diff applications

I remember the FF13 had some of the switching angle system while hitting the target later noticed the same in one of the game of devil may cry and then darksiders too. I think games inspire each other on the choosing target and hitting it sot of mechanism. 

On 5/24/2020 at 6:33 AM, skyfire said:

I remember the FF13 had some of the switching angle system while hitting the target later noticed the same in one of the game of devil may cry and then darksiders too. I think games inspire each other on the choosing target and hitting it sot of mechanism. 

Yeah big time...the homage is completely understandable

In fact I like similar control schemes 

The more consistant it is the better you can move from one title to another

AVG has some great rage outs on that one albeit from a less complicated past

On 5/24/2020 at 12:43 PM, The Blackangel said:

@GUERILLA

Ok I have a simple question. Do you have to triple space every single line you write? Tell me it's a glitch on whatever device you're using to post. It's really annoying having to scroll all day to read a paragraphs worth of a post.

I copy and paste from a writing ap if i have to go large because so many forums are so wacky

Anything to say about the thread? 

2 hours ago, GUERILLA said:

Yeah big time...the homage is completely understandable

In fact I like similar control schemes 

The more consistant it is the better you can move from one title to another

AVG has some great rage outs on that one albeit from a less complicated past

True a lot of similar gaming controls make it easier to adapt to the new games. I have found out that some games however, turn those things into something boring. 

Copying a successful formula is something that gaming devs do so commonly you would think that we would have a universal control scheme by now

While it is refreshing to see some of my most loathed tropes slowly going the way of the dodo there are still a few out there

Fully programmable control schemes go a long way to fixing these problems

I think the option to copy like those 4 to 5 skills in MOBA type games came from the League of Legends and it has been stuck with some games too. So if it's successful copy it logic works in this industry. 

On 5/30/2020 at 4:09 AM, skyfire said:

I think the option to copy like those 4 to 5 skills in MOBA type games came from the League of Legends and it has been stuck with some games too. So if it's successful copy it logic works in this industry. 

I think they just copy whats "hot now" rather than objectively try to improve a control scheme

On 5/30/2020 at 3:38 PM, StaceyPowers said:

I totally agree with you. Moreover, I find it funny how often video game characters completely lose contact with the ground, yet this is consequence-free, whereas in real life, it would be exploited in a martial situation.

They just couldent do without the kung fu jump could they...?

I LOVED the K1 series for keeping FIGHTING games real

RIP K1 2006

I can understand how popular the air juggle mechanic was (likely introduced to the public en masse in the Street Fighter 2 era)

This was actually a very cool real fight mechanic but should have been call Clyde while your opponent was wobbling not flying 10 feet thru the air like a 1/2 deflated balloon!!