Register Now
skyfire

ROG Phone 2 : Would you buy it?

3 hours ago, Shagger said:

OK. I'm a gamer. I play games a lot on "real" devices like PC and console. I can play Fortnight (if I wanted to because that' a FTP fad and totally belongs in the pathetic realm of mobile games), Battle Royal Games (a very poor argument for mobile games because, again, that really is a freemium fad all of it's own) and Final Fantasy (I've only seen a number of older FF games and some horrible FPT crap disgracing the name available on mobile, many of which cost a premium, so you've got some work to do convince me that I need a phone with such hardware to run them).Given how much this, and similar, products are geared toward gamers, please complete the following sentence;

"I as a serious gamer need something like the ROG 2 phone in my life because..."

You are now making it "I don't need it because I am gamer and other devices fill my needs so other people should follow suit too....". 

This logic can't be beaten to and from, try using this logic and get the apples business down. See if it works. 

Mobile creates a niche and game developers are already deploying their huge games into it and there are people who buy expensive devices and play games on it. Expensive consoles are reality so do expensive mobiles purely for gaming. You find it unreasonable doesnt stop manufacturers from making it and game developers from deploying their games. 

23 hours ago, skyfire said:

You are now making it "I don't need it because I am gamer and other devices fill my needs so other people should follow suit too....". 

This logic can't be beaten to and from, try using this logic and get the apples business down. See if it works. 

Mobile creates a niche and game developers are already deploying their huge games into it and there are people who buy expensive devices and play games on it. Expensive consoles are reality so do expensive mobiles purely for gaming. You find it unreasonable doesnt stop manufacturers from making it and game developers from deploying their games. 

I'm not suggesting people not game on mobile just because I don't it seriously, I'm just presenting them with what is likely an unfortunate truth.

It's insane to say, but a games console is signifacly cheaper than a top end phone these days. The cheapest deals I see for the Rog 2, for example, still hover around £500. Given the significant quality difference (and there is one, don't lie to yourself) a console is a better place to game on. Yes, with subscriptions and the cost of games in general, it's more expensive really, but it is that much better. Not there good games on mobile, but finding them is like trying to pick out edible chunks of carrot out of a septic tank.

The vast majority of developers on mobile, including the dev's of games you yourself mentioned earlier, make FPT games that depend of a large player base for success. If mobile dev's make games that mean to get the most out of phones like the ROG 2 then they are, quite frankly, stupid. These phones are impressive, don't get me wrong, they are not the problem. The problem with phones as a gaming platform is the unsolicited, low standard that both dev's and the public have come to accept from the platform. Mobile games stand line an ant compared to consoles and PC when it comes to standards in gaming. Your best game on mobile would probably sit among your worst on console or PC. And that's before I even get how greedy and despicable mobile games tend to be when it comes to monetisation and business practices.

Mobile gaming is crap. The only reason you would have something like a ROG phone is to play games, and I for one am not paying £500 to play crap.

Edited by Shagger

13 minutes ago, Shagger said:

If mobile dev's make games that mean to get the most out of phones like the ROG 2 then they are, quite frankly, stupid.

Not really. You want to run OBS on under 4 GB phone and stream, play high RAM games at the same time for more than 1 hour? Nah, not possible with cheaper potato phones. ROG or similar high spec build would sustain for 1 year of all those taps and heat. You would be surprised that some streamers also use ipad for specific games and end up ditching ipad after few months as it becomes less functional with all the heat and taps. PUBG and few games on mobile like Mobile Legends in SEA region are mostly played, streamed and even used in tournaments on ROG like devices. 

Similarly tell me one thing on planet earth for which if apple ecosystem turns dead today would cost us all in future? None. Apple can be killed for all we care and world wont stop. World continues on UNIX/LINUX or even windows. Yet that is the most expensive computing platform for which world pays extreme price.

I personally feel console platform is in same line of reasoning, and I don't see it any different than gaming mobile or apple computer. Yet it's niche. People pay. I'd rather sit on couch and play games on switch or deck or even on mobile Instead of PS5 or XBOX. I may find console stupid because my comfort zone is in different device. 

Problem is we see it from our pocket and comfort zone on why some things exists or why those things appear dumb. Sometimes it's just not our niche being in focus. 

And by the way large number of indie (or let's say small dev studios) in this context survive purely off switch+mobile population for their games. It may sound stupid but it is what it is. 

11 hours ago, Shagger said:

Mobile gaming is crap. The only reason you would have something like a ROG phone is to play games, and I for one am paying £500 to play crap.

My sentiments exactly - I could never take those gaming phones seriously. Yes, it might be a tad more powerful than even most high-end flagships (Negligible if you ask me) but they also come with way more drawbacks that are too long to count and the support for devices as well as their durability is laughable at best. As I always said, gaming phones are a gimmick and I'll continue to preach that. As for mobile gaming...it's a cesspool which has some of the most predatory microtransactions known to man. Everybody cries about EA and Activision's games but they have nothing on these mobile games.

On 7/30/2021 at 12:56 PM, Shagger said:

I'm sorry, but I just can't see the point in phones like this.

Mobile games aren't very taxing on hardware. They can't be because no developer of a game for mobile games would limit the player base by designing a game that way. It's not like the PC market whare a person having hardware limitations that won't let new games run effectively is something that is accepted. If a PC gamer finds themself in that situation, it's upgrade the pc and then buy the game later. Upgrading a phone often isn't as easy as that because of the abundance of contracts. Also with the vast majority of games on mobile being freemium, these devs will want thier game to be available to as many people as possible. Likewise customers with even semi decent phone or tablet will expect any game they download to work as they aren't responsible for the hardware, unlike pc owners. In short, why buy a phone like this when a mid-range smartphone will be able to play the same game? People don't (or imo, at least shouldn't) take mobile games that seriously.

I actually know a few people who are 100% mobile games players only.

They are not into any kind of console or PC games, hell they don't even know how to use controllers for consoles.

I don't really write them off as long as they are good at their mobile gaming.