Register Now
GUERILLA

NINJA PLEASE...something all sword combat games got WRONG (fighting games got it correct) why dont they have SLAMS in Nioh/Sekiro/Tsushima???

one of the most critical aspects of martial arts combat is something the Japanese call "KUZUSHI"

Its CRITICAL in all non mechanical (no gun) combat IE close quarters

KUZUSHI literally means the unbalacning of your opponent

this can take many forms...

1 shoves (like Spartan kick and football block/shoulder thrust)

2 trips

3 lifting (slams)

4 tilts .... (tipping an opponant @ their COG)

5 towing... (draging or pulling)

This is a terribly underutilized combat mechanic in videogame history

the original game that mastered this principle was Street Fighter 2 in that it allows you to intersperse grappling and striking techniques seamlessly

The K1 kickboxing series of video games also had a version of this and frankly executed even better yet lacked the dramatic slams and throws unfortunately

what a shame they never made a muay thai game with stadium style slam counters!!!

The only problem in most of the OG fighters was the mysterious knockdown trope that broke rhythm that was otherwise well represented

That weird system where an opponent would be knocked flat on their back and only be available for a single "free hit" before they sprang to their feet seemingly unaffected by their momentary comatose state

That and the "air juggle" should have been put down quick but the game mechanic was literally awesome and people loved it... they could have just done that with a character on their feet too wobbled to stop the combo

Its the secondary attack mechanic of the grapple / throw (KUZUSHI) that makes it such an important aspect to add in your fighting mechanics

I hope in the future video game designers get better at interspersing KUZUSHI into the contest

It is a uniquely useful and very Dynamic type of attack that changes the typical video game fighting contest and maintains a more realistic game rythm especially in your hand-to-hand Fighters but it should be included in literally every game including shooters

Spartan kicking or hockey sticking your opponent and then taking aim after they go flying backwards would be a extremely popular and very realistic aspect of Close Quarters combat

The generic melee attack is just too much of a trope

Give us more options and secondary attacks that utilize throws, trips, slams, tows and lifts and especially shoves

They all have diff applications

I have to say, you make a great point. I would love a fighting game that was more realistic. So far the closest to real I’ve seen is Soul Calibur. A lot of the moves in it are designed to get your enemies a little off balance which makes it a more authentic fight. At least it does in my eyes.

On 6/2/2020 at 9:55 AM, The Blackangel said:

I have to say, you make a great point. I would love a fighting game that was more realistic. So far the closest to real I’ve seen is Soul Calibur. A lot of the moves in it are designed to get your enemies a little off balance which makes it a more authentic fight. At least it does in my eyes.

To my knowledge only Bushido Blade and K1 had a completely realistic take on non mechanical combat 

I'm holding out a lot of hope for ghost of tsushima but I'm very worried about its sales number thanks to covid

Since they abandoned the Tenchu series there hasent  been much left for those of us into realistic martial arts/ non mechinized combat

hey nioh kinda has things like that in its fighting theres attacks that speciffically take donw there ki and stuns them momentarily (probably a little to long to be exactly how u mean it) and u can do a "final blow" and usually end them . but yeah that would be cool if u could have like a balance meter and or a disorient meter that would make them vulnerable for maybe a full second . 

I'm sorry @GUERILLA, but the way you format your posts makes them far too difficult to read. I've tried three times now to read your post, and I'm still not completely sure what it is you're trying to say. Reading that is feels like having the entire bushido code shouted at you without pause and with no chance to absorb it in between kata's. Paragraphs are friends, sentences are good. I have little doubt what you say makes sense, but can you please consider better presentation in the future?

Edited by Shagger

@Shagger i thought i was crazy or didnt understand the lingo or something but thank u for making me feel slightly less insane.

i mean putting a line break after every piont 

is just really obno

xious at the very least . but when u do 

it randomly that might even be worse if i

do say so myself. o and another thing as well , i just realised cuase i just started playing it again a couple hours ago that sekiro completly does 

this kuzushi like if u throw a shuriken right as u run up on someone

it stuns them 

for just a split second also knocks there posture down hellsa and makes them full stun and readly for a death blow hellsa 

quick 

status .  u know?

On 7/20/2020 at 7:18 PM, Shagger said:

I'm sorry @GUERILLA, but the way you format your posts makes them far too difficult to read. I've tried three times now to read your post, and I'm still not completely sure what it is you're trying to say. Reading that is feels like having the entire bushido code shouted at you without pause and with no chance to absorb it in between kata's. Paragraphs are friends, sentences are good. I have little doubt what you say makes sense, but can you please consider better presentation in the future?

If your too dumb to grasp this basic concept your "reply" isn't something i want to read anyway

*wants me to use "proper" english on a video game forum

LOL

Edited by GUERILLA

12 minutes ago, GUERILLA said:

If your too dumb to grasp this basic concept your "reply" isn't something i want to read anyway

*wants me to use "proper" english on a video game forum

LOL

No reason to rude, now. It's not my fault that trying to read your post was like rubbing my eyes with sandpaper, that's on you.

Edited by Shagger

On 7/21/2020 at 12:33 AM, Rebel-scum8298 said:

@Shagger i thought i was crazy or didnt understand the lingo or something but thank u for making me feel slightly less insane.

i mean putting a line break after every piont 

is just really obno

xious at the very least . but when u do 

it randomly that might even be worse if i

do say so myself. o and another thing as well , i just realised cuase i just started playing it again a couple hours ago that sekiro completly does 

this kuzushi like if u throw a shuriken right as u run up on someone

it stuns them 

for just a split second also knocks there posture down hellsa and makes them full stun and readly for a death blow hellsa 

quick 

status .  u know?

LOL 

What a moron...are you jackasses actually trying to diss my typing style?

I don't have little feminine nimble fingers so i space instead of use schoolboi punctuation

what a lame thing to complain about in a video game forum

Lol

you know who else uses this typing style?

Special Operations police and Military

what a loser

Its a video game forum bro, they rough on u private skool lads?

7 minutes ago, Shagger said:

No reason to rude, now. It's not my fault that trying to read your post was like rubbing my eyes sandpaper, that's on you.

u give me plenty reasons 2 b ryud

why don't you try saying something intelligent about the thread?

On 7/22/2020 at 8:02 AM, Rebel-scum8298 said:

Fan art nioh anyone . I mean wat this lik asshole big headed demon is doing is literally what he was talking about pushing and knocking of balance for a kill attack 

20200722_044606.jpg

20200722_045525.jpg

20200722_045407.jpg

20200722_045440.jpg

20200722_044514.jpg

I'm having a hard time following the sequence but if your character uses a unbalancing/grappling style attack in concert with block cut and perry opportunities it's definitely KUZUSHI  

thanks for the intelligent reply

Just now, GUERILLA said:

u give me plenty reasons 2 b ryud

why don't you try saying something intelligent about the thread?

How can I say something relevant or insightful in response what I can't even read the garbled mess you wrote? Even If could I wouldn't because you're being little asshole, and that isn't worth my time.

18 minutes ago, Shagger said:

How can I say something relevant or insightful in response what I can't even read the garbled mess you wrote? Even If could I wouldn't because you're being little asshole, and that isn't worth my time.

My posts are concise, spartan and in no way overly verbose 

You just poped off over my type style because you got nothing to say about the topic 

Now say something about the topic or pack up your suitcase 

You got nothing