Register Now
skyfire

ASUS TUF A15 and A17 Laptop

It seems like the two new models are coming out in the TUF series of the ASUS. A15 being 15 inch screen and A17 being 17 inch screen. Where A17 has AMD® Ryzen™ 7 4800H Processor and AMD® Ryzen™ 9 4900H Processor. The prices may vary based on the processor you select for both. 

What I like about these machines is that your RAM can be extended which often Lenovo and Dell machines wont allow you for this price range. 

Plus graphic card with decent RAM and also other specs. 

Looks like these two are pretty good models. 

Any reviews or ideas about the models?

On 6/18/2020 at 3:59 AM, skyfire said:

The reason I am not going with F15, A14 and A15 is that the screen size. I need bigger screen due to some graphics and code work. I don't need super bright screen but screen good enough to view things. 

I'm either going with the Zephyrus G15 or 17 if I can actually find one at MSRP because they are great laptops. According to sales stats, they're outperforming the other Ryzen-based gaming laptops in terms of sales (the G15 and G14 that is)

On 3/15/2021 at 1:57 AM, skyfire said:

Indeed they are good laptops. I loved TUF series from the ASUS. I think zephyrus is definitely good but intel processor and not having i9 can be pretty bad. 

Then you just pick the Ryzen based version - problem solved. As AMD focuses more of their attention on the mobile pc market, expect more manufacturers to switch to Ryzen.

On 3/18/2021 at 1:20 AM, skyfire said:

Yes that's what I have done last year. Though TUF series has pushed the INTEL spam into it with F17 and  F15 series of the processors. So it seems like intel is also desperate for acquiring gamers. 

Intel is extremely worried about AMD especially since they're really starting to make an impact in the gaming laptop space and they seem to be losing manufacturers left and right. Intel losing Apple was a huge blow to them because that was a major part of their yearly earnings down the drain.

TUF series are good, they are cheaper range then to the Rog Series, I was lloking at a TUF monitor once. If the price is right and they offer good specs and performance then Asus all the way 🙂 But with 11th gen near and new hardware coming, I say wait to see what Laptops will have to offer this year. 

On 3/21/2021 at 11:03 AM, Empire said:

TUF series are good, they are cheaper range then to the Rog Series, I was lloking at a TUF monitor once. If the price is right and they offer good specs and performance then Asus all the way 🙂 But with 11th gen near and new hardware coming, I say wait to see what Laptops will have to offer this year. 

The TUF montiors are decent - I'm not going to lie but the ROG monitors are a bit better in my opinion.

15 hours ago, skyfire said:

I have mostly exposure towards the laptops and not the monitor so I can't say how good or bad they are. But I have pretty good experience with Dell monitors and apple monitors so pretty good display quality. 

I have only ever had one Macbook laptop and the display was okay - I didn't buy it though so that made it much better.

9 hours ago, killamch89 said:

The TUF montiors are decent - I'm not going to lie but the ROG monitors are a bit better in my opinion.

They are, What I see between TUF vs ROG is that TUF is the lowest cheaper price range where you still get the bells and whistles but less tech and less build, as for the ROG you pay for a far better build, stronger plastic and refresh rate and other specs are higher. THen again with ROF series you do pay double amount. TUF and ROG same Monoitor alike yet $300 difference.

11 hours ago, Empire said:

They are, What I see between TUF vs ROG is that TUF is the lowest cheaper price range where you still get the bells and whistles but less tech and less build, as for the ROG you pay for a far better build, stronger plastic and refresh rate and other specs are higher. THen again with ROF series you do pay double amount. TUF and ROG same Monoitor alike yet $300 difference.

Over the years, the TUF gaming series laptops or monitors tend to have some issue. For instance, the cooling on the TUF gaming laptops were a major complaint over the last 2 years so I'm interested to see if they bothered to address the issue this time around. The TUF gaming monitors had some complaints about short circuiting.