Register Now
StaceyPowers

Protagonists you hate

True, but the problem is boys seeing these oversexualized depictions of women, and then that's what they expect us to look like. When they find out that that's NOT what a woman looks like, then they typically become jerks that just use a woman for a quick fuck and move on to the next one expecting to find Lara Croft tomorrow night. At least in TLOU2 the women were depicted realistically. But I just can't get my head around Lara. Especially after Angelina Jolie played her.

s something

48 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

True, but the problem is boys seeing these oversexualized depictions of women, and then that's what they expect us to look like. When they find out that that's NOT what a woman looks like, then they typically become jerks that just use a woman for a quick fuck and move on to the next one expecting to find Lara Croft tomorrow night. At least in TLOU2 the women were depicted realistically. But I just can't get my head around Lara. Especially after Angelina Jolie played her.

I actually agree. The key to realistic looking characters is imperfection. Not that Abby, Ellie, Dina nor any of the other woman in that game are unattractive, I'm simply saying that the imperfections is what makes characters visually unique, human, identifiable. However, I will always defend the notion that a character does not need to be ugly to be identifiable unless it's something very indigenous and specific to the story, it's all about the perceived personality and their behaviour.

I set the same standards with really good-looking characters as well. Take Aloy;

4cyLJCik2Z9R7QAoz4exJR.thumb.jpg.e1f540bb9e3fdc9b460e8c23244e0ce1.jpg

...a truly amazing young woman who looks great, but that's also to trained her whole life to win "The Proving". A rite of passage to test soldiery, athleticism, stamina, skill and strength. It would not make sense if she had the body of some lazy asshole riding a scooter. So obviously, she has the body of an athlete. The game designers can hardly be blamed for the simple fact that is attractive.

The standards of character development should not only suit the character, but also make sense otherwise.  So, in the interest of fairness, I have to admit Velvet Crowe does not look like a formally 16 yo girl, starving in a dank pit for three years, despite being an actually brilliant character;

velvet.thumb.png.0170cb54c6a903d9cbbcf5539a47a042.png

I hate to admit it, but there are definitely double standards.

Edited by Shagger

On 8/27/2020 at 12:53 PM, m76 said:

Geralt - The Witcher Series: A giant jerk, who constantly acts like an ahole, and is especially disrespectful towards women, I quit playing all three games because of my revulsion of him.

I don't think he is a jerk in Witcher 3. There are many times when he has shown to have high morality. Plus everywhere he goes, the townsfolk are racist towards him. I think maybe he does have some womanizing traits, but I haven't played Witcher 1 & 2. In Witcher 3 he is struggling with relationships. But a witcher is infertile, so I can see how his love life may be a bit confusing. And maybe that itself leaves him to steer from love as he is known to have been with many women. I haven't seen how he has been flat out disrespectful to women. Maybe they cleaned his act in the latest game? 

Protagonists I hate - my list contains one name - Spyro! How can you not hate a purple goofy-looking flightless winged dragon who needs crystals to use his power? Dragons across all types of medias at the very least are usually somewhat threatening but Spyro is like the outcast of the family. 

On 6/9/2020 at 10:50 PM, StaceyPowers said:

In another thread, @Crazycrab mentioned hating Delphine in Skyrim as much as I do. She's technically a protagonist in the game who is on your side until you refuse to commit murder at her behest, but I always got the impression the developers thought she was overall a righteous character. What other video game protagonists do you hate?

Cloud from Final Fantasy 7 is one protagonist of the game series that I really hated. 

4 hours ago, killamch89 said:

He's not even close to the worst protagonist in FF series - what'd you hate about him so much?

There isn't much to it but I think that it's because of his emo. I get annoyed with his frequent mental breakdown.