Register Now
Shagger

PS5 event round up. Games a plenty and a very pretty console!

First of, here is the full event itself in case you haven't seen it.

Now there's allot to get through, so with no a due, let's begin

Things actually start badly with one of the most pointless announcements ever. Grand Theft Auto V will be a launch title for the PS5 and that's FUCKING STUPID!!! That's three generations of console that this game will be released on now. I don't care that PS5 owners will get GTA Online for free when the console launches, nobody buys a next gen console to play a game they were playing two console generations ago. Nobody wanted this and even less of us need it.This is just another attempt by Take Two and Rockstar to create a false tally of this game's sales numbers, like they've been doing for years. Fuck off with this ridiculous nonsense.

Gladdy, we quickly move onto something we did want, a sequel to Insomnic's brilliant Spiderman game. Spiderman Miles Morales. It's fair to expect great things from this and I'm sure it won't disappoint and this will sell consoles.

Next, and it has been a while for this franchise, Gran Turismo 7. As you would expect, it's epically impressive with its graphics and a real showcase for the PS5 and what it can do. Fans will be glad to see this game back.

Another big exclusive PlayStation IP with Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart. This will be a fun romp as R and C always is, but this one looks great and I get the feeling this one may be more complex and challenging that the previous game. What do you think?

Enough now of stuff we've seen before, time for something new. Project Athia  is a new and exclusive IP published by Square Enix for the PS5 and this looks very promising to me. Difficult to tell at this point what this game is really all about, but I like what I see. One to watch.

Next, Stray. As far as I can tell, you play as a stray cat in a  world populated buy robots instead of humans. Yeah, a bit trippy this one.

And the trippy continues with Returnal. Basically a lost astronaut having a groundhog day. Not sure how I feel about this one, I'll need to see more gameplay before I can make my mind up.

Sackboy: A Big Adventure is a game that does not need to exist. This needlepointed little turd didn't need his own game when we already have Little Bid Planet. I suppose the line up needed a kid friendly couch co-op game, I get that, but this is not for me. A new Knack would have been better.

Ever wanted to play Rocket League, but instead of trying to score goals, it's a Demolition Derby where you smash your opponents up and try to run them over? Exactly! I didn't know I need this in my life either! I think I'm gonna like Destruction Allstars.

Kena: Bridge of Spirits looks right up my ally. I think I need to see more gameplay, but I like what I see. I love its art style and atmosphere. It'll need a strong story and solid gameplay to come together, but I hope it can deliver the goods.

This next one I'm really struggling to know what to say. I'm saying Goodbye Volcano High will be a rubbish game, but I do think this is a rubbish trailer. I can't tell much of anything about it other that it's a world of sentient dinosaur people and it's set in a high school. Honestly, not hyped.

This next one is more exiting, if you're not me. Oddworld Soulstorm. That means two things, we are getting a new Oddworld game and it has a silly name. Never really been a big fan of Oddworld, but I get why others would be hyped.

Ghostwire Tokyo. Now THIS looks fucking cool.

Next is Jett the Far Shore. Now I admit, this trailer defeats me, I have no idea whats going on. So, all I can suggest is watch it and make your own mind up.

Godfall was revealed at another digital Playstation event several months ago. Now, we have actual gameplay to feast our eyes on. Getting a bit of a Warframe crossed with Dark Souls kind of vibe. Looks promising, until you realize it's published by Gearbox. So yeah, take it with bucket of salt.

Solar Ash is a pretty game. A unique vibrant, colourful style and interesting character models. Don't know if this will be fun to play though, time will tell.

Hitman III. Well, not much more to say, it is what it is. I don't see this one letting the fans down and it looks superb.

The next trailer is the new 2K NBA game, so nobody cares.

Ketamine, Crystal Meth, Cocaine, Alcohol, Cannabis, Heroine and Speed. Those are just some of the drugs they were on when they came up with Bugsnax.

It's confirmed, Demon's Souls Remastered. Some of you may know that I have burning HATRED for this game, but I know that it has its fans who'll be, well, I was about to be pleased but the fanbase of this game is made up of arrogant, miserable pricks who are incapable of love, so who knows. Still, good for them, but I'll be avoiding this one.

Strangely, another groundhog day like thing going on here with Deathloop, but the feels very different to Returnal. Very suave, mysterious, brooding style. This kind of reminds m of Dishonoured, and I think it might even be the same studio, so that's a promising sign.

Resident Evil VIII: Village. Enough said.

This teaser for Pragmata leaves more questions than answers. I suppose that is the point, though. Anyway, an interesting concept, but I'll wait for more info. The game won't be out until 2022, so there's time to learn more.

Now the big one, at least for me. At last, they have confirmed the sequel to one of my favourite games, Horizon: Zero Dawn. Sorry if I fanboy out a little here, but Horizon Forbidden West is the reason to own a PS5. The trailer is great too. Looks like Sylens is coming back as a villain, it seems Aloy is going to interact with the environment in a more dynamic way, especially underwater, that pissed of looking giant metal turtle, this is awesome! For this game, I will be buying a PS5.

Then finally, the moment we were all waiting for, the reveal of the console itself. The best looking video game console in my as always humble opinion was the original mark one Sega Megarive/Genesis, the critical word in that sentence being "was". It's so futuristic and sleek, it wouldn't out of place spraying water in a courtyard outside of a fancy cooperate headquarters. The two-tone colour, the asymmetry, it's a stunning looking thing. Sorry XBox, but I don't think there's even a contest here. When it comes to hardware atheistics, Sony has you beat. I can't say I'm surprised to see a version of the console that's digital only, but I am relieved there's a version with a disk tray as well.

But that's just my opinion, what do you guys think? And what did you think of the presentation overall? I think this was a great showing from Sony and PlayStation. Lots of great games shown and a long awaited console reveal that did not disappoint.

EDIT: You know what, I think it might look even better lying flat;

EaRSIRHXYAAhf_W.thumb.jpg.f2915cfc72fec25f8ed44b37a7e26dc1.jpg

Edited by Shagger

Somebody on the Internet has very cleverly used the PS5 disk tray as a kind of datum to compare to other PS consoles, and what this indicates is that the PS 5 is going to be huge, much larger than other PS consoles.

496804411_ps5size.thumb.jpg.2d98dad996ad64f96c8aa7af8f0dd0f7.jpg

29 minutes ago, Shagger said:

Somebody on the Internet has very cleverly used the PS5 disk tray as a kind of datum to compare to other PS consoles, and what this indicates is that the PS 5 is going to be huge, much larger than other PS consoles.

496804411_ps5size.thumb.jpg.2d98dad996ad64f96c8aa7af8f0dd0f7.jpg

That's not surprising, they probably need the extra room for cooling.

If this is accurate, then by my estimate it looks like it's going to be twice the size of a PS3, and 3 times the size of a PS4. Physically at least. But with what I've heard about the PS5, that makes a lot of sense. The power of the entire machine needs more components and to have them, it would require a bigger casing. My only question is, where the hell would I put the damn thing?

I agree with what you said about GTA V. As good as GTA V is, we're long overdue a next edition, the same game on 3 generations of consoles is boring and repetitive. As for the other games that were announced, personally I am really excited for the new Spider-Man and Grand Turismo 7!

I enjoyed the PS5 reveal and loved the breadth of the different games that Sony showed. The Demon's Souls Remake and Resident Evil VIIIage are two of my most anticipated games from the show. Was a bit disappointed that there was no Silent Hill announcement, though. 

On 6/13/2020 at 12:28 AM, Crazycrab said:

ps5_comp.jpg

Actully looking at this image I can't but think "Okay, so Dubai has just set the a new world recored for the tasllest building again!" 🤣

It says a lot about the Xbox Series X when the Xbox 360's design is more innovative. Whoever/Whomever designed that console need(s) to be sacked immediately - they spent 7 years thinking of a... box! Shocking.

Edited by ARx182

9 hours ago, ARx182 said:

It says a lot about the Xbox Series X when the Xbox 360's design is more innovative. Whoever/Whomever designed that console need(s) to be sacked immediately - they spent 7 years thinking of a... box! Shocking.

The design is enough to tell me that it’s not a console worth owning. They went with that? It’s the same reason the Game Cube was a piece of shit. They put no effort into it. So little effort that they just threw 4 corners together and said “Done.” If they care so little about their consoles that that is what they put out, then I’m the one that’s done.

Edited by The Blackangel

11 hours ago, ARx182 said:

1 hour ago, The Blackangel said:

The design is enough to tell me that it’s not a console worth owning. They went with that? It’s the same reason the Game Cube was a piece of shit. They put no effort into it. So little effort that they just threw 4 corners together and said “Done.” If they care so little about their consoles that that is what they put out, then I’m the one that’s done.

I kind of get the way the XBox Series X looks, it's design is born from function rather than style and is there to improve cooling and reduce fan noise. However, whilst I think your statements are a little harsh, It's difficult to say you're wrong. The XBox Series X is boring to look at and it's an awkward shape to place inside a TV table/cabinet. The PS5's design also came about in part to improve cooling, has a shape that's more likely to fit inside TV tables/cabinets despite the larger size and is far more pleasing on the eye.

Edited by Shagger

11 hours ago, Shagger said:

I kind of get the way the XBox Series X looks, it's design is born from function rather than style and is there to improve cooling and reduce fan noise. However, whilst I think your statements are a little harsh, It's difficult to say you're wrong. The XBox Series X is boring to look at and it's an awkward shape to place inside a TV table/cabinet. The PS5's design also came about in part to improve cooling, has a shape that's more likely to fit inside TV tables/cabinets despite the larger size and is far more pleasing on the eye.

Aesthetics and first impressions can mean everything to a potential consumer and Xbox have certainly given a bad first impression with the Xbox Series X design. They've lost the war against PS5 before it even started, in my opinion.