Register Now
The Blackangel

Hulu

I didn't know about this until today, but Hulu is available as a free download on Switch. You don't have to have any part of Nintendo Online. Just go to the eShop and download the file. App? I'm not sure what you would call it since it's not a game. But if you have a Hulu account and a Switch, there's no reason not to.

I'm not living in America, so forgive me if this sounds a little ignorant as Hulu may be more popular than I think, but if Nintendo was going to have one premium steaming service available on the Switch, why wouldn't it be Netflix or Amazon? I'm sorry, but I find it hard to believe that Hulu is the one you really want to make a deal with?

Edited by Shagger

I have no idea what their marketing strategy was. Maybe Hulu wanted less money from Nintendo or vice versa to hook up. One thing I have to give to Hulu at least, is that it has a hell of a lot more TV shows than Netflix. I know nothing about Amazon's streaming service, so I can't comment there. But initially, you would think that they would go for Netflix. But maybe money is what stopped them there. That's all I can come up with.

But if they were going to have one, you would think they would also offer another.

Hulu has limited shows and some of the premium account shows are not exclusive content as they are aired on the TV too. I guess that's why Netflix and few other services are not out on Switch. Who knows they may come in soon. 

On 6/14/2020 at 2:32 AM, Shagger said:

but if Nintendo was going to have one premium steaming service available on the Switch, why wouldn't it be Netflix or Amazon?

Mostly region wise license issues. That kind of prevents device wise installation. Considering we can buy from anywhere in the world these days, license issues are getting complex. 

I never had an account on Hulu but because of the new movie Prey streaming on it, I had to get the app pay for their subscription. The movie was really worth it. I'm also going to get it on my Switch since it's available on it as well and see how I can use it there too. 

13 hours ago, Heatman said:

I never had an account on Hulu but because of the new movie Prey streaming on it, I had to get the app pay for their subscription. The movie was really worth it. I'm also going to get it on my Switch since it's available on it as well and see how I can use it there too. 

As the op stated, do you have a Hulu and a switch account? I don't have one, and I'm not expecting to have anytime soon. I see something promising having the account for Nintendo users through the description but I wouldn't be forced to create one or buy a switch account. 

If you're talking about Nintendo Online, you don't have to have a Nintendo account. You just have to have a Hulu account. If you're talking about ability to use the eShop, then you would need to set up a profile. That's all it takes. It's a free download, so you're not needing money to get it on you're Switch.

I just wish Netflix was still available on it. But they pulled that one a couple years ago. At least YouTube is still on there.

Edited by The Blackangel

On 8/13/2022 at 5:41 AM, Heatman said:

At that point you can just download it on Switch and then sign in, that's all you should have to do. 

4 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

If you're talking about Nintendo Online, you don't have to have a Nintendo account. You just have to have a Hulu account. If you're talking about ability to use the eShop, then you would need to set up a profile. That's all it takes. It's a free download, so you're not needing money to get it on you're Switch.

I just wish Netflix was still available on it. But they pulled that one a couple years ago. At least YouTube is still on there.

That sucks, you'd think with how good the switch is, they'd make it possible to use Netflix and the other streaming platforms. I'm going to guess it's a Netflix thing and they don't want to add their app to the switch. 

5 hours ago, Kane99 said:

At that point you can just download it on Switch and then sign in, that's all you should have to do. 

That sucks, you'd think with how good the switch is, they'd make it possible to use Netflix and the other streaming platforms. I'm going to guess it's a Netflix thing and they don't want to add their app to the switch. 

I have already done that now and it's simply amazing. I'm enjoying it a lot more now and I never knew that it was that good. 

As for having Netflix on Nintendo Switch, it's not supported. There's a workaround for that but it's a risk that's not really worth it because of what it's going to cost you if Nintendo discovered that you hacked your switch. 

21 hours ago, Heatman said:

I have already done that now and it's simply amazing. I'm enjoying it a lot more now and I never knew that it was that good. 

As for having Netflix on Nintendo Switch, it's not supported. There's a workaround for that but it's a risk that's not really worth it because of what it's going to cost you if Nintendo discovered that you hacked your switch. 

Do you know why they aren't supported on the Switch? Is it a Netflix thing where they don't want to be bothered making an app that works? Or is it Nintendo not wanting to make it work? 

40 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

Netflix was on Switch at one point a few years ago. But for some reason Netflix and Nintendo apparently had some issues between them, so Netflix isn't available anymore. All I'm aware of at this point is YouTube and Hulu.

Probably some contract dispute or something. Netflix should easily be able to work as an app. Most older devices and older roku players still work with Netflix, so it must be some contract issue between both sides. Especially if Hulu works fine.