Register Now
DC

How do your position your gaming console?

Console positioning  

12 members have voted

1. 1. What orientation do you prefer?

• Vertical
    • Horizontal

A lot of consoles have had the ability to position them vertically in the last few years. Many of these machines are designed to look their best vertically (especially PS5). How many of you put your machines vertically?

I think the only system I've ever done that was with the PS3, and because of limited space, in all other cases, my consoles have always been horizontal.

On 6/15/2020 at 8:37 AM, Demon_skeith said:

Always Horizontal, that way they are sitting secured on my shelf. I wouldn't trust them vertical to be honest.

I second this. Better safe than sorry, I knock things over very easily, unintentionally, I wouldn't want my £300+ console to be one of those things. Also, particularly in the PS4, the cooling system is on the sides (when placed horizontally). By placing it vertically you would be directly blocking air from leaving the PS4 and over time, leading to overheating. 

Always vertical. Positioning upright is better for the ventilation of the console and can, help prevent overheating of components.

On the other hand, there is a risk that the console could be knocked over accidentally which can be an expensive mistake. 

Horizontal, always horizontal. I don't like vertical orientation, it makes the console look like a PC tower. I can't stand the look of PC towers. Also, horizontal is supposed to reduce the chances of your discs getting scratched, or at least that's what they said back in the day.

On 6/21/2020 at 1:51 PM, Alexander. said:

On the other hand, there is a risk that the console could be knocked over accidentally which can be an expensive mistake. 

This is why my gaming set up is strictly off limits to everyone in my house. I wouldn't want to have anyone giving me an explanation I wouldn't be interested in hearing because all I would be seeing the money I'm going to spend to fix whatever have been damaged. 

I at the moment have the Xbox One X and I currently have mine placed horizontal on a shelf on my desk which I have found works really well for me and gives the console the ability to have that room to circulate the air with the fans and it's also easy for me to keep it free from dust as well which is a must for consoles or any kind of technology for that matter. My sons though have the Xbox Series S and they all find that having theirs's vertical is better for the area they have for their gaming set ups. I was always wary about letting them have their consoles vertical even though they can sit that way or horizontal because it really did look as though it could fall really easily but so far, no issues with it falling and everything has been fine.

I will eventually be upgrading to the Xbox Series X when I can, and I will definitely be having that vertical because I really don't feel it could lay horizontal with the shape of the console.