Register Now
DC

Do you enjoy the retro games you missed out on? Is it really important to play old masterpieces?

Will you go back and play some of the critically acclaimed good games that were unbelievable at the time and really pushed the envelope of what games might be, which may seem a little visually outdated today? Or are you mostly just focusing on what's new? Or do you refuse to play any old games and just stick to what's new?

And a bonus question: do you think it's important to go back and check out the classic masterpieces? Why? Why not?

Retro video games are like my favourite old movies. You watched them a hundred times, you know each scene of by heart, and still enjoy watching them. Yes, in answer to your bonus question, I think it's important that we go back and check out some of the old masterpieces to remind us how far technology has come to this very day. 

Edited by Alexander.

I’m far more interested in the quality of a game than I am in how new or old it is. When I play an older game that looks or feels dated to me, I usually research and ask around to put it in context for its time and get an understanding of how it pushed the envelope when it was released.

The nostalgia is great and the game was great at the time, but personally when I play a retro game that I played back in the day, it doesn't feel the same way. Maybe because my taste has changed, but it hits differently.

On 6/20/2020 at 8:09 PM, Family sedan said:

Old video games are great comfort food.  They remind of basketball players or race car drivers I cheered for way back when.

I couldn't agree more. What are some of your favourite old video games that you remember playing and which titles do you occasionally still play to this day? Do you own any retro gaming equipment? 

Edited by Alexander.

I have every generation Playstation except 4.  I play NASCAR '99 sometimes, I play Gran Turismo, the only one I haven't owned so far is Sport.  I play Car and Driver Grand Tour Racing '98, it was one of my first video games ever along with NBA Live '98.  I loved the NBA Live franchise until it became too hard to play in 2004.  The newest one I regularly play is Live '03.  The only early Lives I haven't owned are '95 and '96.  I used to play NASCAR Thunder '02, but the car control wasn't really all that, so I made the switch to NASCAR Dirt to Daytona, which I've stated earlier I was really hooked on in '07.  I have a copy of Dukes of Hazzard Racing for Home, but I scratched the disc right before I was going to beat the final level.  I might buy another copy of it.  I could go on and on.