Register Now
DC

If all games were running equally well on all operating systems, what OS would you use?

Windows has almost undisputed dominance in the PC gaming market simply because most PC games either don't run on competing operating systems at all or run worse.

But attempts have been made to render Windows-only games compatible with other operating systems ( e.g. through compatibility layers like Wine and Proton). If there is a piece of software in the future that allows you to run a game on any operating system with minimal problems, what operating system would you like to use on your PC?

I'd say if you want ease of use, I'd stick with Windows. If you want developer based machine, I'd go with Mac. And if you just want machine that does not die on gaming, then maybe Linux. 

In near future Windows is going to be Linux based, so yeah, no need to go anywhere, Windows will release it's free version of OS which is going to be linux based as they already have ported Linux on their machine. 

4 hours ago, skyfire said:

I'd say if you want ease of use, I'd stick with Windows. If you want developer based machine, I'd go with Mac. And if you just want machine that does not die on gaming, then maybe Linux. 

In near future Windows is going to be Linux based, so yeah, no need to go anywhere, Windows will release it's free version of OS which is going to be linux based as they already have ported Linux on their machine. 

What has happened, or will happen, to DOS?

17 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

What has happened, or will happen, to DOS?

DOS may remain supported for times to come. But the way microsoft is slowly leaning towards UNIX and LINUX itself. I don't see microsofts own Powershell and DOS and even command prompt to survive long enough. 

Windows. I've never had a problem with the operating system (which is windows if you couldn't tell already) that I run games on, so why change something that is not broken?

Edited by ARx182

8 hours ago, skyfire said:

DOS may remain supported for times to come. But the way microsoft is slowly leaning towards UNIX and LINUX itself. I don't see microsofts own Powershell and DOS and even command prompt to survive long enough. 

Thanks. While I use a PC, I've been out of the technical side of it since Win98. So I don't have a clue about much of anything anymore. And I have never even come near UNIX or LINUX, so I don't know anything about them other than their name. But from what I gather from your reply, I'm assuming they're an operating system like DOS?

Edited by The Blackangel

UNIX and Linux used to be like DOS. Now they have graphics window managers that look like Windows 10. And the thing about Linux and UNIX/BSD based machines is that they don't have much strong requirement of RAM like windows so they tend to perform better than Mac and Windows. So a lot of people who use Windows are slowly moving to it. Me? I am stuck with it because a lot of Windows programs can't run on Linux. Especially the games. 

Windows 10. I've never had a problem using this operating system for the primary use of Gaming, so why I should change when there is no faults? Windows 10 is compatible with an extensive variety of titles and it's user interface is excellent.

Windows 10 latest development shows there are lot of issues especially on space allocation, boot and the battery side. Check the h2004 update. That seems to be buggy and a lot of people moved to the Linux because of the same. But yeah I agree in terms of ease of use and getting things done and gaming, Windows is still the king. 

Linux by far, if there support was there. It uses far less resources, less GPU aspects, and tends to not glitch out when it doesn't like something where-as Windows will jsut blue screen or slow down other things it deems "fit".