Register Now
Shagger

Cyberpunk 2077 Delayed... Again.

Official statement from CD Project Red:

20200618_171558.thumb.jpg.aea940a0866740965c83ad9d754675ef.jpg

To polish and improve the game so it's 100% complete is the right reason to delay any game, but this is starting to get a bit ridiculous. This is why games shouldn't announce release dates so early. Any number of things can happen between those announments and said release dates. There has to be a point where gamers need to stop forgiving developers/publishers for these delays and start asking them if they knew it wouldn't be ready in time, why did you make that announcement and start taking pre-orders a so may long ago? For me, that time is now.

Edited by Shagger

I am very excited to play Cyberpunk 2077 and believe it will be a revolutionary game in terms of graphics and storyline, however, this is embarrassing. I don't know if it's bad PR or incompetence but people should lose their jobs over this. It's a total shame.

If they're pushing it back to make sure it works and plays as it should, then I can give them a pass. If they aren't sure about the game, they have no right to release it until the are. But if they announce a game a year early, and keep pushing back the release date for the same reason over and over, that's bullshit. 

Any game developer should keep their mouth shut about release dates until the polishing is done, and all the bugs they were able to find are fixed. Only gamers can point out all the bugs in a game, and developers aren't perfect. They will miss a lot. So a beta release is when things will be an even greater experience for the game. I encountered a game crashing bug within an hour of my first time playing Skyrim. It soured me for a while. One thing I didn't have available to me on the PS3 was the option of character choice and customization. Also It didn't give me the choice of first or third person. That's a buggy ass game.

I'd rather see a game complete and stable then rushed out too early by the developer and/or publisher.  I hate it even more when their employees have these so called "Crunch" periods where they work ridiculous hours to the detriment of the quality of life and health in order to avoid delays.  But I'm with @Shagger, I'm getting sick of game companies making this same excuse over and over and I'm not giving out free passes for it anymore because he's right.  The reason is they announce these games too damn early.

Cyberpunk is a perfect example of this, the initial release date of April 16 2020 was announced at E3 2019, that's almost an entire year ahead!  How could anyone be genuinely confident enough about how much productivity a workforce will have and compensate for everything that might cause a delay to announce when the game will be ready to the day a year in advance?  The answer is simple, you can't!  Narrow it down to maybe the nearest quarter until you are 100% confident of when it will be ready and THEN annonce the date!

Edited by Crazycrab

Comedy gold at this point.

And they're lying. "game is ready, can be completed, and has all content in it" doesn't mean going gold, it means reaching BETA stage. If they only done that a few weeks ago, this is going to be an utter disaster.

Yeah, they clearly weren't ready to make it to this release window. Now we're waiting another month to get it, and who's to say it'll actually come out in December. They could always delay it until 2021. 

I hope it's ready for release this time, but if it happens again, I'm pulling my pre-order until I know full well it's coming out on a certain date. 

5 hours ago, skyfire said:

I guess they could have done this way before. Most of the game studios are releasing their games in december to milk on christmas sales. 

They probably should have. If anything, the most recent delay before this one, should have been until December 10th to begin with. On top of that, they already stated the game was ready. Now they're backtracking because of the amount of consoles/devices it's releasing on. 

What's really revealing about the announcement is not that they pushed the date 3 weeks. It's what they said about "going gold". Since they described going beta, which for a project this size should have happened at least a year ago if we were expecting a polished product. This 3 weeks won't make any difference whatsoever.