Register Now
Shagger

Retro Gouging Gone Lazy (Star Wars Racer on Switch and PS4)

We see so many remakes and remasters these days and, whether you like them or not, they have appeal and sell because of that. There's nostalgia, much more convenient that playing on old hardware (The PAL version of the N64 in particular is a nightmare. The reasons why I believe that's the case are quite interesting, but that's for another topic) and it introduces these games to a new generation. Again, you can hate this trend if you want and I'd understand, but most of these have had legitimate effort put into them, but not this one. On the same day a rather tidy looking remaster of SpongeBob: Battle to Save Bikini Bottom comes out, Apyre give us... this.

Before we go any further, let me make it clear. This a great game, a real gem of my teenage years. I loved it on Nintendo 64 21 years ago (God, I'm old) and seeing it back on modern consoles, especially the Switch that might make it feel like a new, more intuitive experience to play, part of me cheers. The problem is how ridiculously lazy this is. I'd bet my last penny that is just the Dreamcast version with some new loading logo's for these "Developers" to wrongfully celebrate themselves with, and that's it. There's been no graphical updates, no improved textures or character models, no re-recorded sounds, nothing.

Obviously it runs at a much higher resolution and frame rate than it would on old hardware, so there's a significant difference one can see, but you only notice that difference because that previous hardware is so old. Don't take my word for it, here's some footage. I waited a day to make this topic so footage would be available. Remember, this video game came out literally yesterday.

Of course, a full remaster would have been much more expensive to make, and thus, more expensive to buy, but I'd rather pay $30, or even $60 for a version that's actually had the love that it deserves, rather than the $15 they want for this 20yo asset flip. I hate to say it, because complimenting EA gives me heartburn and a headache, but why couldn't we get this version EA and Criterion were peddling as a concept 2 years ago?

I would maybe consider it on the switch, as aforementioned it's control would make this feel fresh, but please don't buy this on PS4. This game deserves better. 

Edited by Shagger

The recently released star wars game based on the new movie was good one. And if remake do happen, the graphics would be much more cleaner and better. I guess we will find out based on how they wish to reboot the series and older games.