Register Now
StaceyPowers

What game genre has evolved most over time?

What genre of games do you think has evolved and changed most noticeably over the years you have been gaming, and in what ways?

For me, I would say that FPS games have changed the most; when I was a kid, they had only the most bare-bones plots, but now, games like BioShock and Spec Ops: The Line have amazed me with their solid narratives underpinning the action.

I would honestly say FPS, which is more commonly known as First Person Shooter. If you look at Grand Theft Auto, Rockstar went from 2D graphics to enhanced 3D in a matter of years. A video of all the versions of GTA shows this visually. 

Edited by Alexander.

9 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

I would honestly say fantasy. If you look at Zelda on NES for example, and then compare it to games like Skyrim, there really is no competition.

I'd agree with this, the more games can look better and be more open world, the developers have gone all out to make it the best game series.

All genres have, in a way, evolved over a time. Compare GTA San Andreas graphics and gameplay to GTA V or FIFA 01 graphics and gameplay to FIFA 20, you will notice the difference very clearly. Gaming, as a whole, has evolved.

Edited by ARx182

4 hours ago, ARx182 said:

All genres have, in a way, evolved over a time. Compare GTA San Andreas graphics and gameplay to GTA V or FIFA 01 graphics and gameplay to FIFA 20, you will notice the difference very clearly. Gaming, as a whole, has evolved.

The only way FIFA has evolved is how the game has embraced and mastered "gambling for kids" and the worst business practices that in the industry has to plague us with. Improved visuals over years, especially when jumping to new console generations, is something to expect, not to praise. That's not innovation.

I've done a little research, and it turns out EA has used no less than three different game engines for FIFA over the last decade (Frostbite, Impact and Ignite) and I bet not one fan has noticed the difference. That's because all that they do to develop the next game is update team rosters and shirt designs etc, then just copy and paste the same game with the aforementioned minor detail changes then sell it. This has even caused bugs in the past because the coding that works with one engine isn't necessarily compatible with other.

The worst part is that, deep down, the fans know this about EA Sports (Not just FIFA), but don't seem to care. They'll still buy this bullshit year after year fully aware of just how lacklustre an effort went into it.