Register Now
Ken2D

How important are Achievements?

Hi Everyone! First time poster here. I've been looking for some feedback on achievements and their impact on players and this forum seemed like the perfect place for it. I work at a company called Omnislash and we're developing a platform to ingest data from games to supplement content. For example if you have a screenshot from a league of legends game you did really well in you would be able to link it to the actual data from that match.

We currently support one game but plan on adding as many games as possible and we're looking for feedback on how achievements impact your gameplay experience. 

- Do achievements mean a lot to you? Steam achievements, console achievements, in game achievements, etc.

- Would being able to share achievements with friends or in your online social networks make them more useful?

- Can a game having meaningful or challenging achievements make or break the game to you?

A lot of this will impact our design decisions in the future (ex. including and showing achievements from games on your profile etc.) If you're curious about some of what we're doing feel free to check us out, there's a link in my bio/about. 

Please don't hesitate to message me if you have any questions!

37 minutes ago, Ken2D said:

Hi Everyone! First time poster here. I've been looking for some feedback on achievements and their impact on players and this forum seemed like the perfect place for it. I work at a company called Omnislash and we're developing a platform to ingest data from games to supplement content. For example if you have a screenshot from a league of legends game you did really well in you would be able to link it to the actual data from that match.

We currently support one game but plan on adding as many games as possible and we're looking for feedback on how achievements impact your gameplay experience. 

- Do achievements mean a lot to you? Steam achievements, console achievements, in game achievements, etc.

- Would being able to share achievements with friends or in your online social networks make them more useful?

- Can a game having meaningful or challenging achievements make or break the game to you?

A lot of this will impact our design decisions in the future (ex. including and showing achievements from games on your profile etc.) If you're curious about some of what we're doing feel free to check us out, there's a link in my bio/about. 

Please don't hesitate to message me if you have any questions!

Welcome to the Forums.

Achievements don't mean a great deal to me, but I get appeal of them. I have got to say though, I like the concept of the idea. People can obviously screen cap' match results already, but whilst informative, there're boring to look at. To combine that an action shot from the match itself without having to go through a complicated and time-consuming photo editing process sounds really cool. Or am I just not getting this at all and now look a fool.

Achievements mean nothing to me, personally. Let's say I was a game developer, I can see why an Achievement or Medal system is crucial.  There are some gamers that will showcase off their medals to fellow players, which is why this could potentially increase your game's publicity and could ultimately lead to an increase in profits. 

Edited by Alexander.

The only reason I see to go for any kind of achievements would be if they unlock something. Like in Mario Kart, you have to get a first place over all rank in the Mushroom, Flower, and Star cups to unlock the Special cup. And you have to do it at a higher CC race as well. Other than something like that, so called "achievements" typically seem pointless to me. If it's your thing, go for it. But don't act superior about it unless you want to lose some teeth.

10 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

Welcome to the forum. Like some of the others here, I also don’t really get into achievements, but I can understand why some gamers find them compelling.

Gamers who do like achievements in-game, want to show off and express how well skilled they are. I don't like when others boast about how good they are, gaming is not primarily a competition. We're meant to have fun and enjoy the hobby as well. 

Edited by Alexander.

I remember as a young gamer I used to be incredibly obsessed with achievements on my Xbox 360 as I enjoyed racking up points on my gamerscore. Back then my score was pretty low as I did not play many games except for the latest FIFA game. So what I did was buy older games in the FIFA series for maybe £1 or less and just play them for a few days to unlock as many achievements as I possibly could. Looking back on it now I think it was a bit desperate really and I could not imagine doing it again.

I used to hunt for achievements, but in recent years I've pretty much dropped that interest. I do try to go for some here and there, but I don't go all out to complete a game in order to get every single one of them. As well, there are a lot of online achievements that are now impossible to get, as some games servers are down and no one's playing them anymore anyway. 

But yeah, haven't cared about achievements in a long time. 

Achievements are only as good as the achievement is. Sometimes, they ate great for being really good or trying a challenging playstyle. Sometimes, you are rewarded for bad playthough or othertimes you are trying to get the achievements before your other friends get to complete them. Ever played an online match and someone dies 5 times in a row to get an "achievement"? It just enables bad play. I only do the ones that are interesting and ignore the rest. Depending on the games and sims that I do though.

I am aiming to get alll achievements in flight sim