Register Now
StaceyPowers

Low player agency: love it or loathe it?

While I like games with high player agency because they are a reassuring antidote to a life where I feel I have little control, I also like low player agency games because they feel more lifelike, believable and emotionally involving to me. What are your feelings about games which minimize the choices you have or your control over outcomes?

Being a classic gamer, I can't say I've played a lot of games that give me a lot of choices that affect the game in a significant way. Honestly I think the first one like that that I ever played was RDR 2. I just got started playing Life Is Strange the other day. It's a major culture shock (best analogy I could think of) to say the least. The majority of games I've played follow a straight line from starting a new game all the way to completing tasks so you can beat an ultimate boss. Zelda, FF8, Castlevania, etc. Granted playing some of them gets boring as hell after a while, but I mix it up a lot with other types of games.

On 7/4/2020 at 9:56 AM, The Blackangel said:

Being a classic gamer, I can't say I've played a lot of games that give me a lot of choices that affect the game in a significant way. Honestly I think the first one like that that I ever played was RDR 2. I just got started playing Life Is Strange the other day. It's a major culture shock (best analogy I could think of) to say the least. The majority of games I've played follow a straight line from starting a new game all the way to completing tasks so you can beat an ultimate boss. Zelda, FF8, Castlevania, etc. Granted playing some of them gets boring as hell after a while, but I mix it up a lot with other types of games.

I've always been curious about Life is Strange. How is it so far?