Register Now
Scottypops

Games that have aged poorly due to hardware

As the title suggests, I am searching for examples of games that are corrupted when played today for one cause or another (at least in their original forms) due to disc / cartridge / medium deterioration, manufacturing flaws, bugs that occur even years after the fact, etc.

Pokemon Gold and Silver are the first examples which come to mind. The save battery from the cart is also used for monitoring the in-game clock. Consequently, the battery runs out surprisingly quickly, perhaps in as soon as five years. My original cart at least can no longer save.

Another scenario relating to Pokemon and calendar will be the initial run of Ruby and Sapphire. In those games, after one year of playing the game, a flaw in the game 's internal calendar disrupted numerous timing events, most notably the growth of berries. Although one may initially mail to Nintendo for repair in these cartridges, that service is no longer being provided. This might not ruin the game but it definitely makes going back and enjoying the experience more challenging.

What other examples of ageing games do you talk poorly about?

A lot of early games that featured a save function no longer save. Either the battery is long since dead, or the hardware is just breaking down. I have difficulty getting Zelda and Zelda 2 to save a lot of the time. It’s a pain, but I’m not going to be quitting playing them any time soon.

5 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

A lot of early games that featured a save function no longer save. Either the battery is long since dead, or the hardware is just breaking down. I have difficulty getting Zelda and Zelda 2 to save a lot of the time. It’s a pain, but I’m not going to be quitting playing them any time soon.

I do believe you can replace the battery, should be plenty of how to guides floating around or a youtube video showing it.

I have replaced the battery before. That's not a big thing. The big thing is finding the right battery to put back into the cartridge. There is where the hunt starts. The batteries that are installed when the carts are made were intended to last forever in NES terminology. But being that it's 35 years later, they don't really hold that forever expectation anymore.

15 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

I have replaced the battery before. That's not a big thing. The big thing is finding the right battery to put back into the cartridge. There is where the hunt starts. The batteries that are installed when the carts are made were intended to last forever in NES terminology. But being that it's 35 years later, they don't really hold that forever expectation anymore.

I really haven't looked into myself, but did Nintendo use a very special battery instead of a common everyday one?

7 minutes ago, Demon_skeith said:

I really haven't looked into myself, but did Nintendo use a very special battery instead of a common everyday one?

It's a CR2032 and their pretty common.  You can usually find them at a local store or on Amazon for a couple of bucks.

71TrzRIBc8L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

5 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

It's a CR2032 and their pretty common.  You can usually find them at a local store or on Amazon for a couple of bucks.

71TrzRIBc8L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

They're a bit of a bitch to find here. And there's even a battery store here in town that all they sell is batteries. They have a hard time getting the right battery for video game carts in because they're not in any demand anymore. Next to no one plays NES these days, so no one needs them for gaming purposes. As for other uses, it's just not a needed battery here in my area apparently.

17 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

They're a bit of a bitch to find here. And there's even a battery store here in town that all they sell is batteries. They have a hard time getting the right battery for video game carts in because they're not in any demand anymore. Next to no one plays NES these days, so no one needs them for gaming purposes. As for other uses, it's just not a needed battery here in my area apparently.

Well can't  blame them for lack of interest in the cartridges themselves, pretty much all NES games are available via ROMs.