Register Now
StaceyPowers

Do you mind when games force you to make unethical choices?

When a game forces you to make a decision which is unethical or simply something you wouldn’t normally ever do to proceed, how do you feel about it?

I don’t mind if it is in a game where I am playing a character who is a well-defined person (i.e. Walker in Spec Ops: The Line), but it can annoy me in an open world game with a “blank slate” character, like in Fallout NV Lonesome Road DLC last night when I had to shoot off a missile to progress, even though I didn’t want to or see any justifiable reason to do so.

Ethical is entirely interpretive. What falls under ethical to me, I'm certain isn't ethical to anyone else here. The only things I can find unethical, that I can think of off the top of my head, is animal abuse, sexual crimes, or crimes against young children. Such things deserve a sentence of death in my opinion. But pretty much anything else is fair game to do. Anything from slashing an assholes tire, to nuking a country is fine with me.

On 7/7/2020 at 3:34 PM, The Blackangel said:

Ethical is entirely interpretive. What falls under ethical to me, I'm certain isn't ethical to anyone else here. The only things I can find unethical, that I can think of off the top of my head, is animal abuse, sexual crimes, or crimes against young children. Such things deserve a sentence of death in my opinion. But pretty much anything else is fair game to do. Anything from slashing an assholes tire, to nuking a country is fine with me.

In that case, you can interpret my question within that framework. How would you feel about having to do one of your listed things as part of a game narrative? I.e. having to kill kids to progress in a game (which I have encountered, but was okay with in context since the protagonist was a well-developed character, not a blank slate).

21 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

In that case, you can interpret my question within that framework. How would you feel about having to do one of your listed things as part of a game narrative? I.e. having to kill kids to progress in a game (which I have encountered, but was okay with in context since the protagonist was a well-developed character, not a blank slate).

If that's what we're going for, then I have no ethics within video games. I play Hatred as you know, and have killed everything with a heartbeat in it, including children and animals. The animals I kill quickly, but the humans I take my time with, including the children. I have never raped anyone in the game, except once. It didn't do anything for the game, and took too damn long, so I was bored as hell during it. But when I got back to slaughtering, It was all good.

In RDR2, I'm a cold blooded murderer. I kill everything I come across. I don't have to, but I kill them and loot their bodies. The only ones I don't kill are the ones that the game just won't let me kill, and the ones in my group. Even though there's a few I would like to kill. But the game doesn't allow you to kill your own. You could be behind them with a bounty hunter in front of them and when you kill the bounty hunter from behind, it must have been a magic sentient bullet that decided to go around your friend to kill the bounty hunter.

Everyone else though, is a dead man. I just have fun killing them. I can't do it in real life, so why the hell not in a video game? The graphics are realistic as hell, which only adds to my orgasm when I kill someone. Yeah, it's a sexual thrill at times when I kill people. It's just part of being a sociopath.

I love the blood.

Whether I mind or not doesn't matter because it's the dev's story, but whether it feels like it fits the greater story does. If a character does something against their nature without establishing that they're on the breaking point, in desperate circumstances, etc., then I'll call it out. If desperate times call for desperate measures, said desperate times must be made clear and the character's thought process within their established personality and means.

It's a video game so I'm up for mass murder and destroying a whole country, creating lots of chaos. I mean, I do it in video games all the time! The problem is when they force me to take any kind of decision I didn't agree to because of my personal choice. I freaking hate that!

On 7/13/2020 at 8:27 AM, Demon_skeith said:

Not really, its just the story they want to show and for me to experience which I'm fine with.

Personally, it's not really a big deal for me as long it's something that doesn't go against my gaming principles. 

20 minutes ago, Shole said:

This depends, if it makes the game better later on, plot twist etc, yes if not then I will not enjoy it at all.

Exactly, the end effect of the choice goes to a very long extent in determining if it's something that I'm going to be comfortable with.