Register Now
DudeThatsErin

Anyone else stunned (still) that they pay real money for people playing games?

People have been earning money for years or even centuries playing a whole bunch of games and sports like Darts, Pool, Combat Sports, Horse Riding, Soccer, Motorsport, track and field... the list goes on forever and I'm sure in most cases they enjoy doing it.  I might consider Soccer nothing more than "a game" but I possess enough basic objectivity to realise that it is not the case for everyone, lot's of people have passion for different things.  I don't follow competitive gaming in any way but by the same logic I don't see any reason it should be different. If an individual or a team practices hard to get good enough play professionally to win monetary prizes then fair play to them.

Why should/would it be any different than say, basketball or hockey? The professionals get paid there, so shouldn't the professionals here get paid as well? I have no hope of ever becoming a professional athlete unless wheelchair sports suddenly go pro. So if I wanted to be professional at some kind of game, I would go for video gaming. But a lot of that is the wilder stuff that I'm just not capable of. Like speedruns, and nuttier things like beating Zelda without ever collecting a single rupee. It can be done, but you have to know how to pull off some serious glitches. There are people who beat the original Zelda without a sword. How I don't know, but they do it. Also you have to consider people who are agoraphobic. There's no way they could compete in any sport played on a field or arena. So gaming is their area of expertise.

Nope I am not 'stunned' about it at all. If people have the talent and can make money doing something then why not? I give them kudos as I'm sure it's very hard to earn a living especially playing video games but that would be cool to do.

Well, people make money for weirder things. Eports has been an ever growing medium, and I suspect it will only continue to grow. Just look at the amount of people who watch esports. Even ESPN airs esports these days. Back 10 years ago, I wouldn't have even believed it possible, but here we are.