Register Now
Shagger

Forum Mod to Combat Spam.

Now, @DC, I don't think a single person will doubt what you do as an admin is anything less than a commendable effort. You have all our admiration and respect. The contest's, the points, giveaways and forum moderation, you do an amazing job. However, we're at the point where the spam that's flooding the forum is in need of new policy to combat and, I'd say, an additional moderator to help enforce it because it is becoming a problem. I think I speak for all of us, including@The Blackangel @Crazycrab, @skyfire, @StaceyPowers and everyone else when I say we do not doubt your commitment nor ability for second, but you can't do this alone any more. You can't monitor this forum 24/7, that's the curse of being a human being. I'm asking, please consider giving a trusted member mod' rights, not admin rights, mod' rights, to help run the forum.

Edited by Shagger

Thanks for the kind words @Shagger. I agree with your comments and have been thinking about it a lot the past couple of weeks. I'll circle back in a few days. Right now, I do have Email Validation and Admin Validation and I also have a database that crosschecks against known spammers (IP addresses and emails).

Just out of curiosity who would be interested in a being a moderator? @Crazycrab, @StaceyPowers @The Blackangel, @Shagger would be my top choices. We only need 1 right now. Also I would only want moderation enforced against new users/spammers. ie, if two established members are having a heated disagreement (which is common) I like to let the discussion play out. As you all know other than spammers and scammers I don't like to get in the way of what people have to do say. That's what makes us different from Neogaf, Resetera, etc.

I can offer my time. I've been a mod on several forums in the past, and an admin on a couple others. I never have been one on an Invision forum, but I'm sure I could learn how. I would probably make a quick test post or something to tinker with to learn how everything works here.

But I'm not the most up to date on the current gen games and systems, and I know nothing about PC specs, so despite experience I may not be the best choice.

6 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

But I'm not the most up to date on the current gen games and systems, and I know nothing about PC specs, so despite experience I may not be the best choice.

Appreciate that, but irrelevant tbh. Not a requirement for the mod position.

I will show the moderator how to use IPB - it's straightforward. Basically you just need to be shown how to edit, delete, and close posts/threads and issue suspensions/bans.

7 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

If you were to choose me, I would leave the suspensions and bans to you. I wouldn't consider that in the job title for me, that would be left to admin.

One would have to suspend and/or ban spam accounts. That's kinda the point, right?

8 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

True. If it's blatantly obvious that it's pure spam, then no problem. But with others like @RoBnLoZ GaMinG they were given a temp ban, but have been allowed back and made some decent contributions to the forum, IMO. So that's where the leaving it to admin would come in to play.

Obviously, common sense comes into it, other than just nuking everyone. Like I said in the OP, this need needs policy and parameters as much as a new mod.

Edited by Shagger