Register Now
Shagger

Shagger Says: The Last of Us Part II (Spoiler Free Review, potential spoilers in replies)

On 1/1/2022 at 11:21 PM, StaceyPowers said:

I probably should have said ages ago, amazing review as always @Shagger. I love your attention to detail and your balanced outlook.

I just finished my first playthrough. tbh, I reached the end and felt somewhat confused, as it indeed was not quite a "happy" ending--but it did not seem nearly as bleak and crushing as advertised by so many reactions. But it seems on researching that much of the "controversy" was a reaction to having to play as Abby--i.e. having to absorb another perspective and develop empathy. I do not know if this can even be considered entirely separate from all the transphobic complaining--after all, these complaints also come from gamers who do not want to absorb another perspective.

Many reviewers also do not consider other perspectives, or treat their opinions as objective all-encompassing realities. You do not do this, and even examine different facets of your own point of view through a critical eye. I very much appreciate this quality in you.

Seriously, I believe that it's high time that @Shaggerconsider having a YouTube channel where he makes video reviews of games. He's definitely good at it from all his reviews that I have read so far. 

On 1/1/2022 at 11:21 PM, StaceyPowers said:

But it seems on researching that much of the "controversy" was a reaction to having to play as Abby--i.e. having to absorb another perspective and develop empathy. I do not know if this can even be considered entirely separate from all the transphobic complaining--after all, these complaints also come from gamers who do not want to absorb another perspective.

What's funny is that I actually contemplated the lack of insights into the bad guys in my review of the first game, and that they provide exactly that in the second game is probably what made me like it so much. Also the fact that the ending was exactly as I expected or hoped.

It was obvious that those complaining about the trans representation didn't even play the game, as it is such a subtle part. It's not as in many other products tokenized and the only trait of the characters.

Edited by m76