Register Now
Zak

Will Epic ever eclipse Steam?

On 8/17/2020 at 6:28 PM, Shagger said:

Fair point. Honestly, I don't find much in the groups and trading cards that useful either, but I do think Epic should at least add user reviews and ratings.

User reviews would be a great addition. User reviews are the first thing I look at when considering buying a game. With them not being on Epic I find myself looking elsewhere for reviews before making a purchase. Seems silly they don't have them. 

On 9/7/2020 at 9:08 AM, Demon_skeith said:

Steam will fall to second before long.

I can't see that ever happening. Steam has such a strong market position and Epic relies mostly on Fortnite. Whilst I understand Fortnite is hugely popular it is also free. Free to play has never been an overly successful business model. The few Epic exclusives outside of Fortnite are insufficient to give them an advantage over Steam.

32 minutes ago, Zak said:

I can't see that ever happening. Steam has such a strong market position and Epic relies mostly on Fortnite. Whilst I understand Fortnite is hugely popular it is also free. Free to play has never been an overly successful business model. The few Epic exclusives outside of Fortnite are insufficient to give them an advantage over Steam.

Ahh... what now?  Fortnite made $1.8 Billion last year and the recently released Genshin Impact has made $245 Million in its first month just on mobile!  That's not even counting the revenue generated from PC or PlayStation 4 players.  I know that there are a ton of free to play games that fail but the successful ones practically print money.

6 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

Ahh... what now?  Fortnite made $1.8 Billion last year and the recently released Genshin Impact has made $245 Million in its first month just on mobile!  That's not even counting the revenue generated from PC or PlayStation 4 players.  I know that there are a ton of free to play games that fail but the successful ones practically print money.

Yeah, a few free to play games out there make a lot of money in return. I think he means most games that go the free to play model don't have that much success, but I could be wrong. Either way, there are some free to play games that make a ton of money. 

As I've said before in previous threads, as it is right now, that's very unlikely. With their "exclusive" game policy, lack of basic features in the Epic Launcher along with the trust issues regarding data, Epic games faces a massive uphill fight to ever match Steam. 

On 11/5/2020 at 7:01 PM, killamch89 said:

In addition to that, most game developers aren't going to switch platforms either.

They may not switch, but they will likely support both, as it gives them the opportunity to make money from all sides. That's why some games on Epic, are also available on Steam. But I know Epic wants the games on their platform to be exclusive to them, and I don't really like that idea. 

1 hour ago, skyfire said:

Yes and another important part. steam is not only for games but also allows applications in it too. 

True, you can find software, soundtracks and they even sell movies as well from what I remember. 

On 11/4/2020 at 11:55 AM, Crazycrab said:

Fortnite made $1.8 Billion last year

Steam made $4.3 billion in 2017. That's not including their cut from microtransations and DLC. Fortnite is a freak occurrence. In general, free to play is not as successful as a business model as paid games.

Epic is able to do free games each month that's worth £15 to £50 then they can afford to do so. Epic is growing and getting more income then steam. I don't think that it will eclipse steam though since steam as far more users accounts and more usage. 

On 11/21/2020 at 7:53 AM, skyfire said:

They even sold the game developer assets so if you are game developer you can use their library too. 

That's a very valid point as well and Steam's UI is far more user friendly than Epic. I probably mentioned this before but the Epic Launcher does still lacks some very basic features...

On 7/27/2020 at 9:08 PM, Zak said:

It's fair to say Steam is the number one PC gaming service in the world and has been for a very long time. Easy access to your library, offers, community. It has it all. Epic is trying to challenge their dominance but the question is, can they? 

In August Epic will have A Total War Saga: Troy free for 24 hours and will keep the game as an exclusive for a year. Steam won't get the latest Total War title until 2021. A coup for Epic and evidence of their serious intention to rival Steam. But is it enough? Can Epic beat Steam?

With what Epic have been doing over the years, it's very obvious that they can't really beat Steam when it comes to PC games. Yeah, they are doing a bit well but Steam is light years ahead of them.