Register Now
DudeThatsErin

Pirate's of the Caribbean - What do you think about this series?

If Johnny Depp hadn’t been in it, then I most likely never would have seen any of them. I’m not a fan of Disney. But I am however, obsessed with both Johnny Depp and Tim Burton. Unfortunately Tim had nothing to do with the movies.

An interesting little tidbit of info:

They got the idea of how to design the way Davy Jones looked from seeing coffee running down the side of a coffee cup.

Johnny Depp, known as Captain Jack Sparrow is my favourite character in the series. Countless hours during my childhood were spent watching this title, and I always felt "inside the series". I love their storylines too. This is how I learned about the Pirates.

Edited by Alexander.

I think of it exactly the same way as any modern franchise to come out of hollywood: boring trash.

It's the era of movies that are selling based on  how flashy and over the top they are, as opposed to clever writing and well acted characters.

When something is not grounded in reality it becomes completely uninteresting.

And boy pirates of the caribbean is not grounded in reality at all. Some of its scenes are so over the top, that it completely eradicates any sense of suspense. When characters can survive anything, and when there are no rules, and everything can and will happen through unexplained magic there is no thrill, you cannot root for the characters, because the odds are unrealistic and you know the only way they win is through magic. that is worthless to me.

I want heroes  who win by clever tricks, superior strategy, and not by sheer dumbfounded luck, or unrestricted superhuman powers. And that doesn't mean I don't like fantasy or science fiction. It only means that the heroes involved must have clearly defined limits to their powers, what they can and cannot do. Today's fantasy and superhero movies lack this completely.  And because there are no limits to their luck and abilities, no situation they can get into seems serious.

And Depp's overacting is not funny, it's comical in a bad way. I feel sorry for all involved who try to act besides him. I don't consider him a bad actor, I especially liked him in Benny and Joon, but he is outrageously bad in this series. I almost feel like this is all a big joke for him and he isn't even trying.

Yet the entire movie is sold on his character alone, the rest are so underdeveloped and uninteresting, that frankly I cannot even remember any characters other than sparrow, despite enduring all the movies at least once.

On 7/29/2020 at 9:09 PM, The Blackangel said:

If Johnny Depp hadn’t been in it, then I most likely never would have seen any of them. I’m not a fan of Disney. But I am however, obsessed with both Johnny Depp and Tim Burton. Unfortunately Tim had nothing to do with the movies.

An interesting little tidbit of info:

They got the idea of how to design the way Davy Jones looked from seeing coffee running down the side of a coffee cup.

I totally agree with you that Johnny Depp was the real selling point of these movies. His acting was always on-point throughout the series.

I have seen all of the series films that they have made so far and speaking about it they are considering making another film for 2025 or maybe early then that date. I need to google it more. I'm a fan of the series and liked them all however the first three are the best. the other last two films were still outstanding, but the story was just too much and if it's like they are running out of stories to tell.

Cost are 98% good, Hell the actors are indeed the right people, and Johnny depp is amazing since he can be not himself and you wouldn't think it was him at times. If I was to watch it again for the 5th time then I might pass 😛 but at the end of the day, I do like it. Point saying here also that I wish that they make one LAST film and end it for good since 8th films are too much and the cost is just too old to keep on and on.

I loved these movies though I don't care for Disney's franchise anymore. Always been a fan of Johnny Depp since 21 Jump Street (the original). Fun Fact: He's an introvert!

There's 5 movies & there is talk there may be a 6th one. Do you think that's too many? I do. When the storyline goes on for too long & especially for too long timewise in between the first to the last, it loses its meaning.

On 10/20/2021 at 9:30 AM, ZandraJoi said:

I loved these movies though I don't care for Disney's franchise anymore. Always been a fan of Johnny Depp since 21 Jump Street (the original). Fun Fact: He's an introvert!

Ditto. He's a god to me, and the greatest actor that ever lived. There's no role he can't master. He's done everything. Romance, western, action, horror, comedy, drama, sci-fi, fantasy, historical war, all of it. No other actor could breach all genres and do them perfectly.

Another fun fact: Nicholas Cage got him his acting career.

On 10/25/2021 at 12:51 PM, The Blackangel said:

Ditto. He's a god to me, and the greatest actor that ever lived. There's no role he can't master. He's done everything. Romance, western, action, horror, comedy, drama, sci-fi, fantasy, historical war, all of it. No other actor could breach all genres and do them perfectly.

Another fun fact: Nicholas Cage got him his acting career.

I think I like his comedy the best. He tends to do physical comedy quite well. If you ever seen Benny & Joon, you'll know what I mean. I did not know that Fun Fact with Nicholas Cage! Very interesting!

I have several copies of Benny & Joon. The reasoning behind that is because they all have different covers. I have virtually everything he has ever done, which includes his more obscure stuff, and the few movies that weren't even released in North America.

Some of his more obscure movies include Dead Man, Chocolat, Tusk, Lost in La Mancha, Once Upon A Time In Mexico, The Source, Arizona Dream, Before Night Falls, Ed Wood, and Private Resort just to name a few.

I've said it before and I'm saying it again. When he teams up with the greatest director in Hollywood history, Tim Burton, pure masterpieces are created.