Register Now
DudeThatsErin

Cloud computing is making Linux a more tempting target for hackers

https://www.pcgamer.com/cloud-computing-is-making-linux-a-more-tempting-target-for-hackers/

Few people would take issue with saying Linux is more secure than Windows. However, Linux is not immune to malware. According to a new security report, hackers are paying more attention to it these days, just as more things shift to cloud computing.

The finding comes by way of Intezer Labs (via ZDNet), which highlighted in a security report an active botnet campaign affecting cloud servers running Linux.

"Linux threats are becoming more common. A contributing factor to this is the increasing shift and reliance on cloud environments, which are mostly based on Linux infrastructure. Hence, attackers have been adapting accordingly with new tools and techniques designed specifically for this infrastructure," Intezer Labs notes.

That is interesting. I always thought Linux was the most secure but I guess it isn't anymore.

On 7/30/2020 at 9:22 AM, skyfire said:

I don't think this is related to gaming. Is it? Because there is not a single mention of it specifically in the gaming context. 

Agreed, this is more of a tech' thing, but if gamers were to use Linux (Personally, I wouldn't) this is relevant. 

Maybe Linux is the most secure, but nothing is invincible, if a hacker is determined and skilled enough, they'll find their way into anything. 

Perhaps this is an unpopular opinion, but I just don't like the idea of cloud computing, mainly because of the heightened security threats and higher incidences of technical issues. 

Edited by maddyknox

I have to ask this. What, actually IS Linux? I get that it's a computer system(?) but I'm not getting much more than that. Also what really is cloud gaming? Is that like playing online, and storing games online? Like a Steam thing?

A little education and cure for my ignorance please.

6 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

I have to ask this. What, actually IS Linux? I get that it's a computer system(?) but I'm not getting much more than that. Also what really is cloud gaming? Is that like playing online, and storing games online? Like a Steam thing?

A little education and cure for my ignorance please.

It's an operating system, like Windows or MacOS. Or what Android is to a smartphone or tablet. I don't know that much about Linux specifically because I've never  used it, but let's call a free alternative to Microsoft Windows and that's the very basic description.