Register Now
Kane99

2K, NFLPA strike deal to feature current NFL players in multiple football video games

YES! I love the NFL 2K series back when they were allowed to make NFL themed games. They made the popular ESPN NFL 2K5, which I still own on Xbox. I used to play it mostly on PS2 back in the day, and I like to think I became somewhat of a pro at it. Well, if you remember back all the way in 2004, ESPN NFL 2K5 came out for a measily $19.99. Which was far off from EA's Madden which was going for $49.99 if I remember correctly. 

Anyway, this caused EA to buy the NFL license until 2020. Which brings us to today, where 2K may be getting to make new NFL themed games again. The only downside, is that EA still has the license to the NFL, as I'm pretty sure they renewed it. The good news, is that they're allowing 2K to do different types of NFL games. So EA would still produce their Madden, while 2K will probably be making a more party themed game. Maybe compared to NFL street, NBA Jam, stuff like that maybe. 

2K is being allowed to feature actual NFL players in their games as well. And you can read more about that below. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2k-nflpa-strike-deal-to-feature-current-nfl-players-in-multiple-football-video-games/

Honestly, I wouldn't be so excited. 2K are not the same company now as we knew back then, and this has shown most of all in their sport licences. The NBA games have pushed microtransactions to a point where even EA would feel shame and the WWE games have gone so far downhill that'll they are swimming in the lake at the bottom of the valley. More greed, less competence, that's the way of 2K today.

I would say it’s a good thing that EA has some competition in the market, but not only is that not exactly true but 2K is just as bad as EA now, I think it was Angry Joe who said "2K, one of the heroes of old, has lived long enough to become the villain themselves."  and he's right.

7 hours ago, Spikey said:

I wont get too excited for this. I'm loyal to EA Sports as I buy their games. 2k will really have to impress me with this for me to get it.

I don't have full understanding of people who are loyal to certain platforms, publishers, developers, game franchises of whatever. I get fans of them, I am a fan of a number of them myself, but I'm not loyal to any then, I just love good games with little regard to who made them. So the concept of being "loyal" to games publisher is already a little odd to me, but when the publisher you're talking about is EA Sports, that is mind-blowing! It's literally pledging allegiance to the devil.

2K may have followed suit, but if they're Darth Vader, EA Sports is the Emperor. The greediest, most amoral games publisher in the world. They lazily rehash the same games year after and release them at full price with little to no changes. Updated team rosters and shirt designs, and that's about it. It's not like the games are quality, they're sub-par with glitchy gameplay and mediocre graphics. 

EA prays on impressionable children and vulnerable adults to bait and real them into gambling. I don't are what defences people have for it, it's gambling. EA don't care about their customers, that's obvious,  but EA doesn't't even care its own people. Lay off staff by the hundreds whilst giving the executives who buggered it up get multi-million dollar bonuses for buggering it up. The amount of studios they've bought over then shut down is an ever growing obituary that shows no signs of slowing in its growth. They're a cancer on the industry.

EA in general, but EA Sports in particular, are a soulless, greedy, amoral tumour in the gaming that may care if you die tomorrow if they could somehow make money off that. Nobody should be loyal to any gaming company, it's our place as customers to demand the best from them, not buy their stuff because it's their stuff.

9 hours ago, Spikey said:

I wont get too excited for this. I'm loyal to EA Sports as I buy their games. 2k will really have to impress me with this for me to get it.

A bit of life advice as a consumer, don't be loyal to any company.  Outside of how much money they can extract form you bank they don't give a squit of piss about you, so why should you be loyal to them?

@Shagger and @Crazycrab  thanks for both of your advice and comments. Yes I know that companies don't really care about their customers its all about the money unfortunately.

2 hours ago, Shagger said:

EA prays on impressionable children and vulnerable adults to bait and real them into gambling. I don't are what defences people have for it, it's gambling. EA don't care about their customers, that's obvious,  but EA doesn't't even care its own people. Lay off staff by the hundreds whilst giving the executives who buggered it up get multi-million dollar bonuses for buggering it up. The amount of studios they've bought over then shut down is an ever growing obituary that shows no signs of slowing in its growth. They're a cancer on the industry.

I was unaware of this although I hear of EA's greediness. They just make really good sports games and I like their story lines for the sports games better than when I did try some 2K sports games. Like I mentioned though if 2K can really impress me with this project then I might get it. EA Sports is the only company I know that puts out really good hockey video games and I'm a big hockey fan.

I see your guy's points on 2K, and I agree. The NBA 2K franchise has been an utter mess of micro-transactions, loot crates and so on. I just wonder if visual concepts are making it. If so, it might be good. But who knows if the same people that were there in 2004 are still there. 

But, I am still hopeful they will release something good. But, I'm also not getting my hopes up either.